Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Squirrel and Rabbit hunting methods

Old 01-30-2005, 02:31 PM

Default Squirrel and Rabbit hunting methods

how do you hunt squirrel and rabbit?? Its only mr first hunting season and i am thirsty for a kill can you guys help me out on the harvest??
Old 01-30-2005, 06:21 PM

Default RE: Squirrel and Rabbit hunting methods

i am thirsty for a kill
You're in it for the wrong reason.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:20 AM

You're in it for the wrong reason.
Possibly... but if varmint's a kid, his reasons will quite likely change as he learns more about his quarry. The hunt is usually about the kill when you're young, inexperienced, and excitable.

I recommend hunting slowly. Walk 40 or 50 yards and stop. Look for movement of anykind and pay attention to detail. Most of all, remember that regardless of how many varmints you bring down, each one is different in some way and you'll have to be adaptable in your approach, delivery, etc.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:51 AM
Fork Horn

Squirrel is pretty easy, but I prefer to hunt rabbit with a dog. Find a nice spot to sit down - preferably around oaks as this is where they will most likely make their nests, blend in as much as possible with your surrondings and be very still and quiet. Try to hunt when there is little wind because your trying to hear the tree rats scurry around.

When you hear one them scurrying, stay calm until you've pinpointed their position. Slowly and quietly take position for a good shot (damp ground is an advantage as it will help keep your footsteps quiet while doing this). If you do scare him and he goes to the other side of the tree, throw a stick or othe object to the other side and it will scare him back to your side of the tree. When your shot window opens take him and thank God for the kill because now you got a tasty critter.

Repeat till bag limit.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

i hunt squirrels eather early in the moring or in the late afternoon i will go into a bottom and sit down and wait or i will go walking nad shake the trees they nest are in and see if any will come out i have kill 10 so far
Old 02-02-2005, 10:50 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: .22 Varmint

how do you hunt squirrel and rabbit?? Its only mr first hunting season and i am thirsty for a kill can you guys help me out on the harvest??
Squirrels: Learn your trees. The further and quicker you can recognise a tree species the better squirrel hunter you will become. Start first thing by learning to recognise a white oak. You should be able to tell an oak tree from a hundred yards or more and tell a white oad from a red oak at 50 pretty easy.

Remember where they are. White oaks are the candy store of the forrest and when that store is open, everybody will be there or on their way there.

A Tree Identification Booklet for Forests
http://www.state.sc.us/forest/reftree.htm
Old 02-03-2005, 12:40 PM

Hell I just climb on our back deck and pick em off with my .22, Ive gotten 5 in 1 hour that way lol
Old 02-03-2005, 02:43 PM

This works pretty well for me in chapparel with rabbits and ground/rock squirrels, but not so good with tree squirrels. First of all, find their den/warren. Set up your blind about 20 yards down wind and wait. Don't fire until they clear their holes by at least 5 feet for a .22 LR or ten feet for a high powered air rifle. With ground squirrels, you probably won't be able to set up downwind, because they make their dens in enbankments, but luckily, they don't react to scent as much as rabbits do.

A good accesory to take with you when hunting ground squirrels is a squirrel distress call. Do the continuously timed squeek (e.g. terrestrial predator. If you use the broken rhythm of an aerial predator distress call they'll all scatter in seconds) and you'll make 'em freeze in their tracks. A hawk call serves the same purpose for rabbits.

Another thing is ALWAYS AIM FOR THE HEAD. I have shot squirrels clean through the heart with aluminum arrows and they still managed to drag themselves 20 feet before dying. This is bad news if it'a near its hole.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:06 PM

Where I hunt, there is two different patches of oaks with a trail right through the center of both. when i get out there the first thing i do is step out of the car and listen for squirrels. then i head out (quietly, watching where i step) to the first oak patch. there, i walk in a ways and sit down by a big oak. then, i look up and around, constantly scanning the trees. never take your eyes off the trees (unless theres a squirrel on the ground). after a while the squirrels will dismiss you as a deer or other animal and begin to move about. wait for a good shot when you see one. try not to make that much noise moving over to it and do not get excited and run to it (duh). if you can pop 'em off from where you are then do it, but dont go claim your trophy right away, wait, more squirrels will start to come out and then you can get them. but dont forget where your squirrels are.

just keep repeating, moving further down the trail or into the woods when you think an area is pretty well cleaned out. and remember, its not all about the kill. although squirrel is tasty.