Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

The Sickening Trueth About.....

Old 03-13-2007, 07:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: The Sickening Trueth About.....

go to a coyote specific hunting site and ask if coyotes are pack animals and see what you get for answers, I think that you will find that the answers will be the same as mine.
That may be the case there but, what time of year and how much food supply they have along with a few other variables can change their so called normal behavior.

Yes Wolves will drive out the coyotes in no time.

And it has been proven the eastern coyotes have red wolf blood.
Again if this is the case and yes I am well aware of this myself, then how the heck did they breed. This goes against the theory that wolves drive them out doesn't it? Were they crossed bred and the stocked in our areas that face the coyote problems we have now? Was this done on purpose to replace the history of wolves here? I am not sure but it sure sounds like they have made a change somewhere along the line.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:31 AM

quote:
That may be the case there but, what time of year and how much food supply they have along with a few other variables can change their so called normal behavior.

so your tellin me that what they have for food supply and time of year causes them to be pack animals?? I think it is merely behavior changes do to circumstances. A pack animal is that because of instinct. As I said, coyotes have family groups and kick members out and defend against outsiders often. That doesn't sound like an animal that wants to be part of a pack to me. Guys, coyotes are not pack animals!

quote:
Again if this is the case and yes I am well aware of this myself, then how the heck did they breed. This goes against the theory that wolves drive them out doesn't it? Were they crossed bred and the stocked in our areas that face the coyote problems we have now? Was this done on purpose to replace the history of wolves here? I am not sure but it sure sounds like they have made a change somewhere along the line

How the heck did they breed??? It sounds lt goes against the theory?? Well it does but somewhere along the lines the red wolf and coyote found the time for a quicky. Think of coydogs, typically a coyote will attack a companion dog or visa versa, so where did the coydog come from?? And the weird thing is, typically (as far as I know) coyotes and companion dogs are in heat and breed at different times. I have read that the window of opportunity for a coyote and companion dog to mate is very very small.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:27 AM

"go to a coyote specific hunting site and ask if coyotes are pack animals and see what you get for answers, I think that you will find that the answers will be the same as mine."

i do not need the advice of some coyote "expert"since i have successfully killed many hundred of the suckers. Called in as many as seven at one time. Do not set up in Maine and tell me about coyotes. For every coyote you have there we have a hundred here.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:27 PM

alsagr: If you are talkin to me, then I am not in Maine. It would be nice to be in Maine because their coyote population is better than ours.

As far as for every coyote we shoot you have many more. Again I agree. OK is way more predator rich than the NE, hands down.

And if you really did call in 7 at 1 time then great. But, just because you have shot alot of coyotes and they come running to your best impression of a dieing rabbit doesn't mean you know everything about coyote behaviour. Very few people do and I am not one of them. What it does mean though, is that ya'll must have some very hungry coyotes around there.

I have talked to hunters in OK and have a dvd that was shot in OK. I have seen and been told about the differences between here and there.

But, that is not the issue at hand. The issue is, are coyotes pack animals or not?? I say no.

You say you don't need to ask any coyote "expert" since you have killed hundreds, everyone can always learn something new regardless of what they think they know.

If you would like, I can give you names and numbers of some established OK coyote hunters that you can call and even hunt with. Maybe you can get yourself in their next video.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

How the heck did they breed??? It sounds lt goes against the theory?? Well it does but somewhere along the lines the red wolf and coyote found the time for a quicky.
Is that why some of them have wolve bloodlines that are growing stronger because of a quicky? But, even if it was just a quicky wouldn't those lines grow thinner and thinner until they fade away?

If they are not pack animals then why has if been reported that a pack of coyotes have tried to attack people here. It has been said to have happened more then once. Is that because some have stronger wolf genes inthem ?
Old 03-13-2007, 01:22 PM

I think you people are getting the words "pack" and family group or group confused.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

That may be the case here as when you see a group of them together we call it a pack though it maybe a family group.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:53 PM

Depends on your definition of "pack animals." Do coyotes usually run in packs? The answer is definitely not.
Do coyotes sometimes "pack up?" The answer is a definite yes. i hogor deer hunt at least two evenings every week in the same area.Usually call a littleat dusk. Coyotes often start their talking and soon three or four are in a group hunting. About a month ago i shot two out of a group of four.Withouttrying veryhard i have killed over 60 coyotesin the past eight months while hunting hogs and/or deer.Also killed two nice deer and a bunch of hogs.

Used to operate a tractorbrushogging lanes ina large range area. Coyotes would gather on both sides of the machine as it moved along. They would go after rabbits that the machine scared up. Took advantage of this and zapped several coyotes until they wised up. Recentlya friend called in four coyotes at once.All came from the same direction.It is not unusual to call in three or four at once here.

Hunt here with two other folks, one has wolfhounds and the other one hunts coyotesalmost every day by calling.Currently it is illegal in OK to hunt coyotes at night with the aidofa light. i do wish that they would change this. Somefolks do it anyway on private property.

Get those coyotes.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:44 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: browning.204

I have been on many many coyote hunts, the most I or anyone that I know has called in is 2.

I know things are different in different parts of the country, but just because you may have called in a bunch at a time does not mean that they are pack animals!

They are not pack animals because they are to territorial, they have a family group that belongs to a specific area and defend it against other coyotes. They family group is always dispersed and the dispersed coyotes have to find there own grounds. Sometimes they will go hundreds of miles to find unclaimed territory.

go to a coyote specific hunting site and ask if coyotes are pack animals and see what you get for answers, I think that you will find that the answers will be the same as mine.
That's full of inaccuracies, like many post in this thread are. The basic idea however, is true that coyotes are not pack animals by nature. They do use pack mentality (Everyday) and in some areas their hunting practices must be adjusted for the size of game they are taking. In conditions like those described above, of severe weather and big game yarding, coyotes will come together to hunt. Hell, they'll come together for a lot less. Across the Midwest my friends and I have regularly seen (and/or called in) groups of 4-8 and family structure wasn't an issue. In fact- dispersal isn't a sure bet at all. Some leave early, some leave late and some hang out for another year... to say coyotes ALWAYS do ANYTHING is a reach.

That said; I have serious doubts the scene pictured was the result of coyote attack. Pictures of hounded coyotes rarely equate to coyote knowledge- and the whole flavor of this thread is anti-coyote so things may be getting twisted a tad.

PS: 80 pound coyotes do inhabit the Northeast. There are a handful of studies done on the DNA taken from NE coyotes that show anywhere from 50-90% matches with the resident wolves. The size of pups increased almost immediately when wolves arrived in those areas.

I saw a 72 pound coyote trapped in Indiana two years ago.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

That said; I have serious doubts the scene pictured was the result of coyote attack.
Anyone has a right to doubt this if they want, but, if you want more info check with the State of Maine Fish and Wildlife Service on this issue. You will find out in fact that this was the result of coyotes so believe what you want to believe.

Quick Reply: The Sickening Trueth About.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.