Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

The Sickening Trueth About.....

Old 03-10-2007, 06:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: The Sickening Trueth About.....

We just can't really say that this is the work of coyotes. As I said, I would put my $ on Wolves before coyotes.
I can only add to this is that 5 coyotes were shot at the scene. The game wardens stated it was done by coyotes, and the fact Maine only has a few wolves that the wardens says wandered here and travel through. But, most of us disagree with that. The problem here is more of a fact that the deer yard up by water. They do this because of forestry practice. They can only cut so close to Lakes and rivers here. That in turn leaves old growth trees for the deer to yard in next to the ice. Sure there is a few cedar swamps that have not been cut yet. They also hold a few deer that are yarded up as well. But for the most part it the ones by the water that get hit the hardest as once they hit the ice.... Well, you can see what can happen.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:26 PM

Yeah, The state of NH says there are No wolves in the state.

We know better than that!

P.s. Of course coyotes were shot at the scene, there was a free buffet!!!
Old 03-12-2007, 03:52 PM

ORIGINAL: coolbrze0

What do you mean when they yard? Is this when the snow is too deep in the woods/mountains and they come to civilization, hence yards?
Yard means that they gather in a herd in open meadow areas. There is safety in numbers generally. They also keep warm that way too. With all the hooves walking around, it would make for easier digging through the snow looking for food.

This is a common practice in heavy snow areas and in mountainous areas.

Emery
Old 03-12-2007, 04:19 PM

Have killed many hundreds of western coyotes. It is a myth that coyotes do not pack up. In the area that ihunt you can hear and see them getting packed up in the late evening.i often see them in packs chasing deer.Here you see one once in awhile thatcame out second best in a fight with a hog.Killed two out of a pack of four about one month ago.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here when the deer yard up it is to find shelter from the storms as well as to create trail systems to move around in when looking for food. These trail systems allow them to go through snow better. As when the snow gets deep they have there own paths. also when the snow is crusty on top it cuts the deer's leggs up, and the paths helps them avoid alot of that. But with coyotes the crusty snow is a problem as the deer will break through and the coyotes run on top making it easier for the coyotes to catch the deer.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Have killed many hundreds of western coyotes. It is a myth that coyotes do not pack up. In the area that ihunt you can hear and see them getting packed up in the late evening.i often see them in packs chasing deer.Here you see one once in awhile thatcame out second best in a fight with a hog.Killed two out of a pack of four about one month ago.
Thanks alsagr, this is a photo of coyotes taken out of that area last year. The biologist say that wolves would drive coyotes away? But, here they also claim they have been bred with wolves? Anyhow here is the photo from last year.

Old 03-13-2007, 06:11 AM

Coyotes are NOT pack animals.

Yes Wolves will drive out the coyotes in no time.

And it has been proven the eastern coyotes have red wolf blood.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:30 AM

"The biologist say that wolves would drive coyotes away?"

Could be that this is the case. Then you are left with a much worse evil than yotes.

"Coyotes are NOT pack animals."

Do not set there at your computer and tell me that. How many coyote hunts have you been on?

Old 03-13-2007, 06:34 AM

"Anyhow here is the photo from last year."

Fine bunch of coyotes. i've never met the guy but the champion coyote killer in OK is a man who fell out of a tree stand and was stabbed by an arrow in his quiver. He was incapacitated and could not move. When it got dark the yotes moved in and started nipping at him. Some folks rescued the hunter and now he is a coyote killing machine.

Old 03-13-2007, 06:38 AM

I have been on many many coyote hunts, the most I or anyone that I know has called in is 2.

I know things are different in different parts of the country, but just because you may have called in a bunch at a time does not mean that they are pack animals!

They are not pack animals because they are to territorial, they have a family group that belongs to a specific area and defend it against other coyotes. They family group is always dispersed and the dispersed coyotes have to find there own grounds. Sometimes they will go hundreds of miles to find unclaimed territory.

go to a coyote specific hunting site and ask if coyotes are pack animals and see what you get for answers, I think that you will find that the answers will be the same as mine.

Quick Reply: The Sickening Trueth About.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.