Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyote questions

Old 02-20-2007, 04:29 PM

Default Coyote questions

I'm very new to coyote calling. I'm using an "el cheapo" style call. Have downloaded all the free calls I can find. Been using howls the past week hoping to get some mating yotes to take the bait. But have yet to have any luck at killing a yote yet. I know they are around where I'm hunting. Have seen more than one set of tracks in the snow and lots of scat. At night can hear them howling in theres areas as well. I pay attention to the wind and how I set up. Set up in the shade, use camo and have descented it all as well. Have a decent amount of land to hunt and I keep switching up my spots and what sounds I try calling with. Anyone other than that Jake guy have any suggestions?? Thank you in advance!!
Old 02-20-2007, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Coyote questions

I used a rabbit in distress CD along with some barks and yips like a couple coyotes fighting over a rabbit. There was good snow on the ground and fairly cold. Had 2 of em come running in looking for a meal to steal.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

patience,, and more patience!!!!

Since we don't knowif there is other calling pressure, or other hunting pressure from dog hunters, etc. It's really hard to guess what, if anything, you're doing wrong. BUT, if there are plenty ofcoyotes in your calling areas, and if there has been or is no other calling pressure/hunting pressure on them, then it's probably a matter of time before you succeed. Even veteran callers will go through "dry" spells, even in coyote rich areas.
Without seeing what you're doing and knowing "your" situation, it is very hard to pin point the reason for lack of success!
Have you tried different times of the day? Maybe they aren't in the specific areas that you are trying at the time of day you are trying them! If you've been trying first thing in the mornings, maybe try evenings!
Old 02-20-2007, 09:11 PM

Have yet to try early morning. Been heading out from noon til dusk. Have done a little bit at night as well. Might be some calling from other hunters at a few places, but then theres a couple I'm pretty sure are "virgin". The dog hunters hunt mostly southwest of me a good 5-10 miles away. Should I expect much response with the "el cheapo" type of caller? I have had some guys tell me I need a remote one so I can control the volume and be more sound specific.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

You rcheapo will work just fine.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd agree with fingerz, as long as the sounds it make aren't distorted and sound crisp/naturual as much as possible.
I'd try the mornings a time or two, maybe that'll change your luck!
Old 02-21-2007, 07:05 AM

Hey man dont try starting stuff again. Ive learned alot the past couple weeks. Just hear me out and listen. Start with the howls and if you dont get any response then do some distress. Wait a while before you start with the distress because sometimes the coyotes will want to get back in their home range or safe area whatever you want to call it and then they may explode with their howls. If nothing happens after a while then use distress. Switch up your calls and sequences every stand and just figure out what works for you.
Good luck