Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyote questions

Old 11-14-2005, 05:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default Coyote questions

Will they affect deer habits? Will they leave the area? Or will the deer leave first?
I have been here over 10 years and have never heard or seen one till this year. Saturday nite I heard one howl out. Now tonight I heard 2 howl out. Then a fight occured for about 30 seconds. then nothin...........Now its my turn...[:@][:@]
Time to go......I aint gonna have them here. What you do now?
Old 11-15-2005, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Coyote questions

Deer and coyotes and co-existed in most of the country for decades. Deer won't leave the country because of coyotes. Sure coyotes can have some inpact on the deers habits from day to day, but not to the point of deer leaving the country.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:02 AM
Typical Buck

Coyotes are deers natural predators,
their populations will go up and down with the deer populations
Coyotes will affect deers patterns,
and are part of the natural population cycle,
i hunt deer about once every 3 years, and hunt coyotes in between,

Old 11-15-2005, 06:22 PM
Typical Buck

My thing is this,

just how many are here? Waysto tell how many?

They have never been here before or the last 10 years.

Now they are within 500 yards af my home.

What about my family andanimals?
3 Dogs, 7 puppies, chickens, horses and a few cattle are around.

My dogs well, lets just wait, three St. Bernards, have ruled for awhile now. They stand about 5'5" on hind legs ,90-100 lbs.
Seen"JJ" drag out the biggest racoon I have ever seen in my life. Then he would not let me have it for two days.
He was prettyscratched upfor awhile.
Seen the three whoop four other dogs in a serious scrap, shoot, water did not make them stop but for a second. Them boys can go!
But, also the call from the coyotes could be to much for them to just let go.
They are very dominating.
But I don't think it would be a fair fight. Maybe coyotes havea bigger pack!

I'm still concerned for the rest of my family, should I be?

Thanks for the help the more I learn the more control I have.

FirstBow

Old 11-16-2005, 03:42 PM
Fork Horn

I would go through your freezer and gather any old meat that you don't want/need. Then I'd go a good distance away from your house and dump it in the woods. Now you can either setup a trail camera to see just how many of these little buggers you're dealing with, or you can just setup to hunt them right there. Another option is to start trapping them, or if you don't want to spend a whole bunch of money, ask someone who traps to take care of them for you.

As far as coyotes attacking humans, they're pretty scared of people, especially if you have a flashlight or lantern with you at night. I don't think they'd tangle with a horse or a St. Bernard either.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:24 PM

Coyote's, one of my subjects. The blacktail deer here do not leave if the coyote comes around. Last year, we had a bumper crop of coyotes born, and I had never seen as many fawns dead, mangled, and killed for sport. The only time the deer tend to move about from the norm, is when the cougars come stalking. Right now, the unmated females are howling to look for mates nightly. I usually hunt in the morning and stick with only female calls. I had so much success with taking large males this way. This year, i am at 11 coyotes, one with my compound, and the rest with my Tikka T3 varmint style in .308. The best taken coyote this year was on my ranch, where a pair was going after my horse in her pen. I took the pair out, 2/2 and found that both males had a really bad case of mange......

Hunting is not just a right, it is a repsonsibility to act upon.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:33 PM
Typical Buck

Idon't know if they were just passing or what but I hane not heard a peep nor a sign of them anymore.
What happened I wonder. All I know is the last time I heard them howl out, right after that a fight occured. Sounded like a pack got into it fot about 30-45 seconds and then nothing ever sense.
Hmmmmmm what happened?