Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

.177 for Foxes???

Old 02-27-2007, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .177 for Foxes???

Thanks BLINDER, ill try that
Old 03-01-2007, 05:45 PM

To answer your question, no a .177 will not kill or even come close to killing a fox.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:49 PM

ORIGINAL: cascadedad

Well, I wouldn't recommend it, but check this out. Don't think it was at 50 yards either.

http://www.gamousa.com//Videos/62_wmv.htm

That definitely is not in Ohio.
LOL, I was just checking that rifle out on the web, man what a gimmick! It comes with a 3-9x50mm Illuminated Reticle MilDot scope! Now if that doesn't tell you that rifle is a lemon, then what will!?
Old 03-02-2007, 02:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am not trying to encourage it, but, here it is used in towns where they have a problem with fox. They pellet gun is shot just above the middle of it's eyes at close range. But, is only used in around towns where a small rifle cannot be used. So the answer is yes, howeverI wouldn't want to try it out.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:22 PM

yeah.....well you are all wrong....I shot a 180 lb fox on a dead sprint from 300 meters out with my sling shot using high velocity stay puff marshmallows for pills.....ear holed it....those stay puffs gotta be around 3000 fps.

If I can do that, you can kill one with a pellet gun!

Haha....In reality, Ireally wouldn't try it...especially this time of year when the animal has it's winter coat....if you are already bordering on a velocity and energy minimum, that extra fur is gonna intensify that problem. Just my opinion...

~Cam

Old 03-03-2007, 04:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Fuzzyballs44

yeah.....well you are all wrong....I shot a 180 lb fox on a dead sprint from 300 meters out with my sling shot using high velocity stay puff marshmallows for pills.....ear holed it....those stay puffs gotta be around 3000 fps.

Sorry fuzzy ,but ,they are hired to do just that with problem predators that are in towns by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Traps can not be used because of pets in towns and firearm controls prevent them shooting them with a rifle. But, nobody here has everseen a 180 lb fox before either!But, wouldn't that be cool to shoot a world record like that! I also do not recommend shooting them with a pellet gun but, just stating the facts.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:39 AM

ORIGINAL: Phil from Maine

Fuzzyballs44

Sorry fuzzy ,but ,they are hired to do just that with problem predators that are in towns by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Traps can not be used because of pets in towns and firearm controls prevent them shooting them with a rifle. But, nobody here has everseen a 180 lb fox before either!But, wouldn't that be cool to shoot a world record like that! I also do not recommend shooting them with a pellet gun but, just stating the facts.
I was being more of a smart a## than anything else...I know there isn't a 180 lb fox running around.

Also, if you get any little projectile going 1500 ft/sec it is going to do some damage with the proper shot placement.

I would say....find another method if you have them means to though so you aren't just putting the poor animals eye out....or even worse....getting it wounded to have it live out the next three months of it's life miserable, finally dieing of either starvation because it cannot effectively hunt any longer, or possibly have it die from infection in anopen wound. That is not fair to the animal if you have an option, don't risk putting it through that.

Furthermore, just because theF&G does it....it doesn't make it right. I'm sure they are good at telling people when it is successful, but do not mention when they botch the program!