Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Trapping foxes

Old 02-15-2007, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Trapping foxes

Can you all give me some advice for trapping foxes. Do you recommend snares or traps? What kind of each and what to use in the trap, how to set them, where to set them. Scent free right? Any info is greatly appreciated. Any websites to buy traps, snares, or to get info from?
Old 02-16-2007, 08:25 AM

Default RE: Trapping foxes

Coolbrze0, there is a mountain of info.to learn. I would first suggest going to www.trapperman.com there is loads of good info.and a great forum at that website. I see that you are in Northern VA. I am here in Roanoke. I trapped for a few seasons a couple of years ago and caught one red and four gray foxes. We don't have many around here. I would suggest a dirthole set for foxes and unless you thing you may get a yote or cat a #1.5 coilspring will do the trick. Try to find places where you see sign, tracks, scat, fresh kills, or trails. Location is the key to sucess, you must bed the trap properly, and be scent free.

You could also use snares, but I don't know very much about them. Go to www.snareshop.com and check them out. Fence crossing are popular places to set snares. If you were closer I would show you a few tricks of the trade. If you have any additional questions PM me. I'll be glad to help.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:36 PM

like criggster mentioned a 1.5 coil spring is your best bet, but don't be cheap when you buy your traps. You will be glad you spent a little extra when your first coyote gets pinched. Trap preperation is key you need a clean dyed trap alot of people wax them, I never have and i do allright. Once the trap is clean and scent free you need to keep it that way. I hang mine out side away from foriegn odors untill needed. Also when making sets use a clean pair of gloves to set and bed your trap and a different pair to apply lure and bait. But the biggest thing is to make sure your trap is bedded solid. Practice this at home. It is easiest to dig a deeper hole that you can fill in with loose dirt and press the trap down into and then pack dirt in around and under the jaws and springs. test by pushing down on a spot on the trap if it is done right it shouldn't move at all.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:42 AM
Fork Horn

I have seen ppl use snares and they need to be perfect. Sometimes u catch them perfectly around the neck, otherwise they slip under or over it. that or if ur hole is too big, u might just catch them by the back legs and when ur skinning the thing it would tear the hide
Old 03-09-2007, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another question, how big in diameter is a fox hole? We've got a lot of holes on our farm and I'm not sure which ones are being used by fox or groundhogs. The 2ways I've been able to tell is to go out after a snow and I can see the diff. in tracks & look for fox scat near the hole entrance...
Old 03-10-2007, 07:47 AM

It depends on whether it is a gray or red. I know of a den on my place two grays are using and it is just an old groundhog hole. Reds may dig out the hole a little bigger.