Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Need Coyote calling Advice

Old 11-20-2002, 08:13 PM

Default Need Coyote calling Advice

Hi to all fellow hunters,
Just a new guy to the forum, chat, and all that but not new to predator calling...well Grey Foxes any way, I did manage to get my share of them here in Colorado a few years ago. Season on them is now closed. With this in mind, I have turned my interest to Bobcat and coyote calling. I used to use a woodpecker distress tape (Johnny Stewart) in a small recorder with a 50 ft. extention cord out to the speaker and this was deadly on them. I know my tactics have to change for coyotes as I only had one come into this all the times I called foxes. I think this will work on bobcats, but I need to wait longer for them to come in.
As a taxidermist, I buy bobcats, foxes and coyotes every year and pay pretty good prices for these especially bobcats frozen whole. Would really be nice to collect some on my own.
A guy I was buying from here in Southern Colorado uses an electronic call for coyotes and collected me 20 or so a year ago in about a months time. He would call me after hunting sometimes and had 2 or 3 a day for me to pick up. He would only tell me he had a digital call.
I have never been real good with a mouth call and kinda prefer a electronic as I like to have the speaker out there. Just bought a mouth call and don't like the sound. Probably sending them thar coyotes into the next canyon running!!!
If anyone has or knows of a good electronic method for coyotes and I kill a couple on it, they get $100.00 off a great life-size coyote mount. My work can be seen at www.huffmantaxidermy.net
Just bought a new .223 and I can't wait to let the air out of a coyote with it. My .22 Mag is going into the closet. Hope my caller isn't.
Old 11-21-2002, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need Coyote calling Advice

First of all, welcome to the board Cat Man Dooo!! Nice to have another Colo. caller show up. I do alot off calling on the eastern plains of Colo. myself, not too much yet this year, still have deer tags to fill. But, anyways, I use only hand calls and have real good luck with them, and I refuse to use electronics, primarily becasue I walk way to far to carry any more than I have to. I do know, however, that rabbit distress, both jack and cottan tail, tapes work well. Coyoteseeker, another here on this board, likes to use coyote pack howl tapes to locate coyotes before calling them, which apparently works very well. E-mail me, I've got some hand calls that I could get you a set of, if you would be interested in them. They are open reed calls, and work great. Let me know.
Old 11-21-2002, 05:53 PM
Typical Buck

your tactics will have to shift slightly for coyote.howler will be much better suited for giving advice concidering your both from the same area.hunting here in the east is a little different from there.as far as electronics go i do use a tape for locating,but locating with a group howl tape only works(around here any way)at night.i live in a populated area and the coyotes just don't sound off much during daylight.locate them in the dark,go back after first light and try and root them up.i have found that hand calls work more concistantly then elec callers.myself and others i have discused this with all agree,its the repetitiveness of a tape that seems to turn them off.i also believe that when blowing on a hand call you inadvertantly and purposely change the volume slightly,this of caurse adds realizim to the distress sound.a tape maintains the same volume untill one lowers or raises it.maybe its something else not sure.but one thing is for sure,hand calls do work better.
Old 11-21-2002, 08:26 PM

This is great advice and I thank you both for the info. Sounds like I better just learn the hand call. I just bought a hand call this week and it sounds terrible...going to let my kids have it to irritate our dogs I would think too it would be more rewarding to hand call one in that use of an electronic as well, I just need more experience with coyote calling and bobcats as well. Nothing beats the fur quality of a Colorado mountain bobcat!Just mounted a real nice one today thats going on ebay in a couple weeks. Do you get any cats Howler? We buy frozen whole cats and pay well.
Howler, very interested in your calls and to contact you. My deal is still on if you ever want to get one of those big dogs mounted. What part of Colorado you in? I'm down in the south off I-25. I will look for your email address, guess I can find this in your profile?
You can email me at: [email protected]
Looking forward and thank you both again.
Old 11-22-2002, 10:13 AM

Hi guys, just joined up, wanted to say hi.I hunt predators here in CA and make my own calls.If any ones intrested drop me a line and we'll talk.Howler, Id be intrested in checking your calls out,I like to collect em also.Take care.
Old 11-24-2002, 09:12 AM

Howdy Everyone
I started reading this forum to try and rekindle an old love. Back in the 60's I hunted Fox with the old Wounded Rabbit call, But as life moved on so did I and varmit hunting fell aside. Now the VA has retired me on a disability and I want to get back into Varmit shooting, There are so many coyotes around me that they have about wiped out the Ring necks, I have a Golden Eagle 243 and have a Leupold 3.5-10 X 40mm on it, I figure this will do the job along with the 55grBST by Winchester, Now the questions, Where do I get the necessary calls? Fox hunting I used to go in the winter wrap myself in a sheet and sit under an old stump or brush pile, Will that work for Coyotes? I prefer a mouth call as I hunt way out in the boonies and don't want to tote anything extra. I would also like to contact someone about hunting a Bobcat and getting it mounted.Thanks for any and all advice/comments, I may not post an awful lot, But I am reading.

Bob
Old 11-25-2002, 07:54 AM

Welcome Bobcat 46,
I am also new to the forum here and am trying to call coyotes and bobcats out west (Colorado). All I can help you with is the taxidermy end of your quest. I will tell you that I have seen some coyotes unusable after being shot with a .243 as the exit hole took out one side. Bobcats with slightly thinner skin may do more damage. A 22-250 does pretty good damage but didn't seem to ruin them. I shot a coyote once with a 90 grain FMJ out of a .243 but the coyote ran the length of the field before it dropped and had I been in the brush, would have lost him. This would probably work ok with snow on the ground for tracking. I just purchased a .223 for bobcat and coyote hunting but can't comment on it just yet, haven't been lucky yet. I called in a coyote yesterday and it came from behind me. Must have done something wrong, had the wind to my back and the coyote trotted right on by 20 yrds away and kept on going. A load of buckshot would have been nice to have at the time, but never offered a rifle shot.
On the bobcat, if you want one mounted, freeze them whole. Some taxidermist skin them differently than others. We make a single cut down the abdomen, and other make dorsal cuts, so I wouldn't skin them, let the taxidermist do this. You can see some of our work by visiting the sit in the above post. Good luck with the hunt and I'll post the .223 damage later.
Old 11-30-2002, 10:54 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-30-2002, 10:36 PM

Thanks Super and all that posted,
Since I posted here, I purchased a couple Primo "Regulator"#10 and #14 calls and have hit the area around here. I did manage to call in a coyote last Sunday and he trotted past me about 20 to 30 yrds away and came from behind me. Though he didn't offer a rifle shot, this was quite the thrill have called him in so close. (If only he would have stopped for a second or two) Our bobcat season opens tomorrow and I will be hitting things harder and I now know I have a call that does in fact work which gives me confidence. Howler is supposed to come down next week for a hunt and I hope to learn a few more tricks then. I will be posting a picture of that coyote or cat....what ever offers a shot first!

Thanks Again, Steve
Old 11-30-2002, 11:24 PM

Thanks Catman, Sorry it took so long to get back on here, But holidays and all. I have plenty of yotes around here but I also live pretty close to civilization, The whole township only has about 2000 people and I am about 3 miles from a State game area, Plenty of Turkeys, deer etc. The yotes are so bold around here that they walk through my wives garden while she is working it. Usually has her little dog with her too,So now she carries a 9mm with her as she works. I hear them at night but seldom in the daylight, At night they send all the dogs howling around here. I think I will probably go with a hand call too. I used to do good with fox using the cotton tail wounded rabbit call. I have a question concerning the woodpecker call, Will coyotes respond to it also? Or is it for Bobcats mostly?
Thanks

Bob