Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

coyote calling

Old 03-10-2008, 09:33 AM
8mm
Typical Buck

Default coyote calling

i have a question does any one use the Johnny Stewart predator call 2i have one an i been going out like crazy an i have yet to call a coyote in with it i been calling in red tail hawks an owls but not a fox or a coyote i dont know if i am useing the call wrong or what any help would be great an here is a pic of the call

Old 03-10-2008, 12:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: coyote calling

you should be able to call up a coyote with it,but right now is probably the most difficult time of the year to get one,they are paired up and breeding,so coyote howls will work better than distress sounds right now if you own a howler of some sort or an open reed call like the hot dog or little dog by primos,then I would try a couple of long interogation howls followed by breeding yips of a female for about 20 seconds and set and wait about ten or fifteen minutes and do it again,repeat this a few times and you can add a distress sound if you like,but most of the time during this time of the year distress sounds have little success,you may try many sets with nothing but crows,owls,and hawks and a house cat or even deer sometimes come to investigate,this is predator hunting in the east,we aren't blessed with huge numbers of coyotes in KY,we now have more than ever,but I beleive this is due to the good deer population we have here in the state.GOOD LUCK just keep on trying and buy a predator hunting video and watch it if you are a beginner,primo's makes some that have a lot of information on howling,but dont expect it to be like that video in KY,because we dont have the coyotes they have out west,and they dont talk about the unsuccessful set-ups they made before they got a coyote to come in for a shot.keep on hunting and you will score,and remember that you have to be within hearing range for them to come in,and this requires a stealthy approach to and from a hunting set-up,GOOD LUCK.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:12 PM
Typical Buck

PS you will get some more info later probably,there are several veteran predator hunters on this site,the info that I gave you is just a small part like the tip of the iceburg,more different opinions will give you a lot more information.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:38 PM
Typical Buck

I have on of those and i don't think they are loud enough,like you said i was calling up owls and hawks but no yotes.So i bought me a Johnny Stewar Preymaster for $75,and have killed several yotes and called up 2 bobcats with it.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:08 PM
Typical Buck

What may be happening is a couple things. Even when you make a set up and don"t see anything, that don"t mean that you did"nt call up a dog. I would be willing to belive that half the times we don"t see anything, It"s becouse we get busted. Never even knowing that we got the attention of a coyote. You really have to play the wind when dog hunting. Thats the most important thing.
That JS caller you have is a great caller, exlent sound and tones. What you read is right, it"s not real loud. Not to say that you can"t call up a dog with it though. Like # 68 said, you may need to really get the howels and yips going and then go with the JS to let them zero in on ya.
If your lookin around alot and making un-nesassary sounds, you may not be seing any dogs. If you have alot of coyote sign around , and scat, tracks, and have seen them in the area, you will kill dogs sooner or later.