Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

1st Fox

Old 11-25-2002, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 1st Fox

Last week I shot my 1st fox ever. It was a nice red at 40yds. I have called in several over the last couple years, but have always seemed to not get off the shot, miss or scare them off. I am really happy about finally taking my first one.
Old 11-25-2002, 05:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 1st Fox

congrats,the first is always exciting.do somthing with it,mount it make a rug of it,hat what ever just do somthing with the pelt.you will never have another first.
Old 11-25-2002, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Way to go WIMP. Getting one under the belt is a good start. The more you call in, whether you get them or not, the better you will be next time, as long as you learn why it is that you failed to get them when you didn't. One of the things that really helped me be successful, was when I went calling with three other guys. Two of us had shotguns, the other two had rifles, we teamed up at each set, one rifle with one shotgun, and layed down the rule that a rifle could not fire until the coyote was leaving, period. This forced us to be patient, and let the predators get as close as we could. We killed five coyotes that day, 4 of them with the shotguns. We learned alot that day. Sounds like you're getting the hang of things. Again, congrats!!
Old 11-26-2002, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

He is at the taxidermist getting tanned.
howler,
many times I hunt with my dad and we do simliar, one rifle one shotgun. the rifle gets to shoot if they hang up and sit out of shotgun range. Most of the problems we run into with this situation is the fox seeing the other guy, when we are watching 2 different directions. we are getting a little better at positioning so that it doesn't happen as often.
Old 11-26-2002, 08:38 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats. Fox are really neat animals,but I prefer to kill them since they are so hard on the game birds. But a little experience I had with my first fox, I took it to the taxidermist to get a rug. 3 Months later I call and end up finding out the tanning company lost my fox and sent the wrong one back. I guess I will never ever get to see my first fox again. Kind of a depressing thought.

Without passion.....Why bother?
Old 11-26-2002, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on your first fox!!

"ATTITUDE REFLECTS LEADERSHIP, CAPTAIN!"
Old 12-02-2002, 02:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats wimp! I finally took a red fox with my bow, something I've been trying for three years now. After an hour and twenty minute stalk, I was about beat! I kept sneaking behind him till he finally laid up, and I kept making just a tad bit too much noise and he would move on about 30-40 yards and try laying up again. Finally I had a great set up, snuck into 15 yards and drilled him. I skinned him out and gave him to the tannery and plan to try my first taxidermy mount with him. I plan on doing a half mount on a pedestal, and somehow incorporate the tail into it. I just got some photo's back of him, so I'll try and get them on here in a week or so.

Duck killer, sorry to hear about the mishap on the fox hide. I'd be on that tannery like funk on a skunk!
ArcticBowMan's Hunting Photo's