Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyote Calling

Old 01-16-2006, 05:40 PM

Default Coyote Calling

Hey folks, hope this is the right section. Anyways, have 3 calves eaten by coyotes so far here in the last 2 weeks, getting to be a real problem. I have called back in the day with my buddy and he had a a cd player with a pretty good sized speaker on it and it worked awesome. I have tried using mouth calls, I cant seem to do it and just dont have the time to. I have one of those hand helds and its not worth a damn, real quiet. My question is, where is the best place to get a quality coyote call with some voice behind it, as I say im out 3 calves already so im not affraid to drop some coin on a nice unit. Thanks.

Kevin
Old 01-16-2006, 06:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Coyote Calling

go with fox pro. they are an awsome system.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:13 PM
Fork Horn

i never tryed a electric caller but remember they have a really good nose so i like to mask my scent with coon urine
Old 01-16-2006, 07:18 PM
Dominant Buck

I don't hunt them since I wouldn't know what to do with them , but friends of mine who do swear by Foxpro .
Never post upwind of them , takedownfreak123 , you'll never see one if you do .
Old 01-16-2006, 07:48 PM

out west I use Ed sceery and circe they work great if you want simple Quakerboy has a squeezin screamer that is great and sounds good try em all
Old 01-16-2006, 08:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've got a FoxPro, and it is a very nice unit. But don't expect to do much damage to the coyote population with it. The extension service here estimated that to actually make a dent in the population, 75% of the population would have to be killed annually for 15 years before a decline was noticed. You may need to also consider trapping or poison if the problems continue. Although I have noticed since I started hunting them, I was always shooting coyotes that were bigger and in better shape than the average coyote I saw from the truck or tractor window. Perhaps the coyotes bold enough to take on a calf were also bold enough to come to a call.

I found a calf yesterday that had been eaten, buthe was dead when the coyotes found him. I also noticed hogs had also eaten on him. Something was wrong with the calf's jaw, and I'm not real sure he could even nurse. I have lost my share of calves, but most of the time the coyotes have just been there for clean up.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:13 PM

I will look into the Foxpro and the others mentioned. I agree Texan about whipping out 75%, but I just figured doing somthing to them is better then doing nothing, ya know?
Old 01-16-2006, 10:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yup. Plus, they're just fun to shoot. It beats deer and turkey hunting to pieces.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:02 PM

Agree, they are a blast to shoot.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:03 PM

I will help you out with your yote problem, provided I have a bed to sleep in at night.. Also, did you know that the out of the "WORLDS" coyote population, 70% of all of them have have mange and carry the mites that transmit the problem. It goes to show, the population has to be checked.