Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

help calling coyotes in midwest

Old 07-12-2006, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default help calling coyotes in midwest

I've been hunting a little in Indiana and haven't had any luck. I'm using a 2 in 1 Knight and Hale predator call. What other calls might work?
Old 07-12-2006, 07:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: help calling coyotes in midwest

Hello fellow Hoosier!

I am not familiar with the 2/1 Knight & Hale predator call, could you describe it a little further? Distress or howlers? Open reed or closed?

Also, are you hunting right NOW or do you mean you have been hunting in recent winters and haven't had much success? The time of year is a very important variable in calling coyotes consistantly, what works now may not work in three weeks... much less February.

Lastly what region of the state are you hunting... as terrain differs extremely between Southern, Central and northern portions of the state it drastically changes the way a succesful coyote hunter approaches a setup. I hunt over 50 of Indiana's 92 counties so odds are good that I've hunted in your area... I'd be glad to give you some pointers but a little more info would make my suggestions more accurate. Thanks;
Old 07-13-2006, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

I don't know much about calls, butI would call it a hand call that makes a critter distress and pup distress. I bought this in a kitwith a ez howler also. I have been hunting lately I bought the callsin the spring. I thought hunting wouldn't be bad right after the wheat is cut. I live in Randolph county in east central Indiana. If you've ever seen the Purdue farm off of state road one you know exactly where I live. There is a DNR area about 5 minutes away that I would like to try sometime it looks like some prime territory.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:19 AM
Fork Horn

I use a howler while it is still dark to locate them and once found go find a couple more areas up the road too.then when it starts getting light go back and use a predator call or electronic call.Make sure you play the wind and use a cover scent.
Elkshed
Old 07-15-2006, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Elkshed, you do realize that when you are using a howler to locate, coyotes could very well be coming to you at about the time you're driving off, don't you? Why not instead, wait until first light, set-up to call in a likely spot, start with your howler, and go ahead and stay put just like any other set. Do some distress calls, etc., and if by chance, you here coyotes howl in response, but none show, then move toward the vocal response you got.
By driving around and howling, then driving off, you're basically using a good calling tactic, but not utilizing the results that could come from it! And why beleive that the coyotes that responded will still be there when you get back to them?
For what it's worth!
Old 07-15-2006, 05:30 PM
Fork Horn

Ya,I know.I have used the howler to call them in also.I use it to get in the general area.when I find the best spot I slip back in.There is a lot of country to cover here.You are right though Im sure Ive had a few come in as I drove off,but so have others including myself using a caller.
Elkshed
Old 07-15-2006, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

[hr]
Brent, I wish I had read this post a little closer yesterday. I spent the day scouting for coyotes within 15-20 minutes of your place today! I would've enjoyed meeting you and talking coyotes if you were up for it... sorry I didn't get to make the connection in time.

Anyways, your region is very unique! I'm glad you mentioned what are you are from... because that is some interesting calling out there. I hunt most of our state, top to bottom and east to west. That region in extreme east central Indiana is a lot like the northern extremities in that it is VERY open. This is about as far from my personal "Comfort zone" as I care to get... it just blows my mind to look across 5-6 acres of bean stubble!!! I'm used to 50 yard visuals in a hardwood thicket.

Your region makes for what I call "big stands". This means you can see a lot of territory from you location- theoretically there should not be a coyote in eyesight when you start calling (Otherwise you'd just shoot it). Given that you KNOW you don't have a coyote within 200-500-1000 yards in most cases- I start my stands out with BIG vocals. Loud, very loud. Practice with that howler so you can get their attention on those big stands.

Also scout out some areas that offer a little cover in the middle of those big open spaces. Maybe a sinkhole or even a strip of beans missed by the combines. Grassy ditches work great, set up in them and call the coyotes from a structure such as a woodlot or drainage swale. Getting out in these areas cuts down on the amount of dead space between you and the dog... that extra 500 yards of wide open walking may be what keeps the coyote from committing. Get as close as you can and again- be loud.

When it comes to distresscalls you should try to find a jackrabbit in distress call.... perhaps a PC3 from Dan Thompson. This has a loud voice in it, very affective in that big open country with winds and long range stands. Use the volume of a howler to get their attention, use the volume of a jackrabbit to keep it.

Hope this helps, I'll shoot you an email next time I'm going to be in the neighborhood. I got 5,500 acres to hunt over there today- so I will be back!
Old 07-15-2006, 07:27 PM
Fork Horn

Thinks for the help. We're going to Bass pro sometime soon so I'll pick some stuff up. Who are you hunting for?
Old 07-15-2006, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

The list is long... I hunt in over 50 counties and todayI picked up probably three pages in the platbooks. I spoke withabout 50 landowners today, some really fine folks that were happy to see an effective coyote hunter coming on their property. Everyone says "There are guys that try calling here" but after they see my binder full of pictures they quickly give me permission.... sometimes exlusive permission in an effort to get more coyotes removed! I've been scouting and digging up permission in 9 seperate counties since Friday--- hoping to get into 3 more tomorrow. I'll continue this most of the summer, then come fall- no coyote will be safe!