Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

calling coyotes

Old 01-07-2008, 04:57 PM

Default calling coyotes

I had this posted under big game and had no response,just looking for a little help with coyote hunting.

I seem to have no luck with predator calls,I've been out for 2 days hunting coyotes(seen about 12 and 2 foxes)and can't seem to get any to come in.I have an eletronic call using the rabbit in distress call.I've even spot and stacked my way to about 400 yards and tried the calls and they don't even take a step in my direction.Even tried a predator call with black bears and have had 2 run away.Is there a trick this calling?Maybe I should be wating for -30 weather.

timba
Old 01-07-2008, 09:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: calling coyotes

It take,s practice try a predator decoy Basspro or cabelas has them. I know a few guys,s that hunt local farms if there livestock yote,s hang around when there birthing going on to get the after birth or any still borns.Yea yuk but thats what they love blood or try roadkill or gut piles if its legal are ya useing enough camo to fit your surounding,s or may be there just call wise let me know what happens.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Watching Randy Anderson, probably the best yote hunter in the country, on TV I heard him quite a few times say to use the howl first. He stated that usually with a distress call (dying rabbit, etc.) they almost always circle downwind. It is possible that you are calling them in but they get your scent and diappear.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:04 AM
Fork Horn

yep they will almost always circle down wind of your location when calling its good to have the electronic caller as far away if possible if thats what you have. I have also heard for using the howl first then using the distress calls. We use a round ball that swivels in all directions and put a camo glove on it to replicate a rabbit. Timba how long are you calling in one spot? Usually we ony call for 30 min max and if they havent showed up yet chances are they wont and its good also not to use you vehicles to drive to the hunting area if you can walk its much more productive. Rabbit and kitten calls have worked the best for me along with the fox call also. Coyotes are a very smart animal and it takes practice and patience with them.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had this posted under big game and had no response,just looking for a little help with coyote hunting.
I can't give much advise, except to let you know that there is a forum for you, try posting in "Small game, Predator and Trapping".
Its in the General Hunting area.
Good luck
Old 01-08-2008, 07:17 PM

I'll try watching the wind better next time I go out,hopefully it helps

thanks

Old 01-08-2008, 09:48 PM
Fork Horn

I was looking at a pic you posted of a black wolf nice and I think you said it was taken at a cattle farm well thats a good place to start for coyote,s. If your going toget decoy,s I remember seeing a placein Montana that sell,s them it was on ebayreal close for you depends ware you live in alberta if I find the name of it I,ll post it for you.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:17 PM

Yea, listen to what bronko 22000 said. Randy Anderson is simply the best coyote caller in North America. Get any of the "Calling all coyotes videos" he has. His web site is www.callingcoyotes.com Get the videos, and his open reed calls. The Primos Little Dog works very well, along with his hot dog. I had the same problem you had until I came across Randy. Once you see it, you won't believe it. I use to only take about 6-9 dogs a year, now i'm getting around 30. Good luck.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:38 PM

I know when hunting coyotes, concealment is primary...they have great vision.
The other thing to watch is when they come in closer than say, 200 - 300 yards to call softly.

Ive never used an electronic caller, but I know some friends who love the foxpro callers.