Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

trapping/frying prarie dogs ?

Old 07-19-2005, 07:43 PM

Default trapping/frying prarie dogs ?

I've got prarie dogs coming from across the highway . It would be dangerous and illeagal to shoot them . I have set a live trap out there on a few occasions , I only pulled up small bunnies . Should I try baiting them ? I had seen a setup on a show some time ago - it looked like the guy had set small posts in the ground around his crop , attached to the posts was steel wire , perhaps attached to a battery - it would fry any varmint that tryed to go into the field . Have any of you tryed somthing like this before ? I don't know much about electricity , but this seems the safest and most effective way . Thanks for any help you can give .
Old 07-19-2005, 07:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: trapping/frying prarie dogs ?

A number of things might work, but you need to be sure of what is legal in your area. If they are using trails, body grip traps or snares may help, but don't risk getting the nieghbors' cats if they are about. If you know where the entrances to the dens are, that is a better place to set up. I'm sure there is some bait that would work in a live trap--try a search on some of the trapping forums or do a search on Animal Damage Control. Obviously a rifle and a good rest would be the most efficient...or have the dnr import a couple of badger...lol.

An electric fence may do the job. Set a couple of strands short enough to do the trick and make sure you have a very good ground. There are solar units if needed. If it is an area where people walk, make sure there is a sign up to avoid litigation. The fence won't "fry" them, but a good jolt or two would likely discourage them from heading in that direction.