Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyote Question

Old 07-15-2005, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

Default Coyote Question

Like in deer hunting there is doe in heat lure.

My question is -
Does any one make a Coyote in heat lure ?

It looks like it would work any time of the year if there is such a thing.

Thank You.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Coyote Question

Sort of .

It would be a challange call in Feb.

Johnch
Old 07-16-2005, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are you wanting to find it to use as a lure for trapping? I'd guess that if you're wanting to try it along with calling, that it might help during the mating season, which is Feb. and March. BUT don't expect a lure, a cover scent, or the best odor elimanating spary or clothing to prevent a coyote from smelling you. If they get downwind, they will smell right past everything, and smell you anyways. Most predator callers learn how to set up so that any approaching predators have to expose themselves in the open before getting downwind. So, instead of trying to beat the nose of a coyote, set up so that he can't get down wind before you pull the trigger on him!
Old 07-17-2005, 07:43 PM

The thought never occured to me about that but it makes sense. It reminds me of a story I read about that old time wolf hunters would tie out a female dog that was in heat and shoot the wolves that would attempt to mate with her. In the story the wolves would run away after one of them was shot and then come back and jump over a dead wolf to mate with the dog. The end of the story had the hunters running out of ammo before the woods ran out of wolves. It was an intresting story that probably had a grain of truth to it.

Most of today's game laws wouldn't allow it but if you know of a dog in heat I'd consider bottling some of that stuff up.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:35 AM
Fork Horn

When trapping coyotes you can use the scat of other coyotes. Just like dogs they enjoy sniffing each other and checking out each others scent.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:06 PM
Typical Buck

There are plenty of professionally made gland lures about for trapping. The pheromones released by a female in heat have a short half life and do not remain viable for very long at all. I expect some of the better "doe in heat" lures have glands in them and will elicite interest from other deer, but not like a doe that is actually in heat.