Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
What do you think of Moly >

What do you think of Moly

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

What do you think of Moly

Old 02-26-2002, 04:43 PM
bigcountry

Default What do you think of Moly

My 300RUM fouls quick. I mean quick. My groups open after 8 or 10 rounds. I got the final finish kit but worried about my throat. I also have several good loads for my gun and scared the final finish will change them somewhat.

So, I was looking at the CT Partitions moly coated. Does anybody out there like them? Seems the consensus is they are a waste of money and time.

Also, for those who had loads with Nosler Partitions, and changed to CT Partions, did your groups change much?

Old 02-28-2002, 10:48 AM

Default RE: What do you think of Moly

I don't remember if I posted this reply before but Norma Ammunition did some tests on moly. From what I remember they found an increase in velocity, decrease in pressure and no real change in accuracy. Try www.norma.cc for the article.
Old 03-01-2002, 10:40 AM

i've used moly coated bullets with no ill effects. the moly is more difficult to clean though. in my case i needed to add approx 1-2 grains more powder to achieve the same velocity, so mine at least created less pressure. as far as accuracy i can't compare my bullets to one another since i shot different grains and different brands of bullets. my moly coat bullets were barnes xlc's in 225 grain .338. they grouped exceptionally well.
hope this helps.
Old 03-01-2002, 11:35 AM
bigcountry

For a report. All this talk got me curious, and I am not too much on taking advise, for me its seein is believin. So I loaded up 20 the other night 180g CT partitions 94, 95g of H1000 and CCI 250 primer for my 300RUM. Well, I shot the entire 20 rounds with no effects to the groups opening up which is different for me. I usually have to clean after 8-10 rounds. But it did change my load a little. Before with Noslers 180g PT, my optimum load was 94g. Now it seems to moved it up to 95. Maybe the less friction. I got 3 .9-1.1" groups with 94g and 3 groups with 95g produced 2 groups around .5" and one about .8". Didn't have time to chrono however. I might have to look into this deeper. If you have a gun that opens groups after 10 or 15 rounds, I believe these are worthwhile. If you don't shoot that much at a sitting, might want to save the 3 dollars. But for me it was a success.

Old 03-04-2002, 08:16 AM
bigcountry

Well, I saw something this weekend that sold me on at least looking further into Moly. The range officer at Carroll County Gun range, Jim, shoots 22-250 at long ranges. He molys himself. He tells me that he don't clean out the moly at all out of his barrel. He says after shooting, he runs a bore snake thru and one dry patch and don't oils at all in the bore. I asked how long he has been doing this in disbelief. He said said for about 1000 rounds. So thinking this is just another bull story by a fellow shooter, I tell him to prove it. He took that cold gun and shot 3 shots at 200 yards with about 1" groups. He said he can do it all day long. He said people defeat the purpose using Kroil and other cleaners to get the Moly out. He said, once you get the moly impregnated in the barrel, there will be no copper fouling. But it will take some time. It was unbeleivable. I am still sceptical. I kinda believe that man is taking that gun home every night and cleaning out all the moly and fouling coming back in the range every morning telling people this story.

Old 03-04-2002, 08:00 PM

Big Country i have a 22-250 and a 7mm remmag with over 500 rounds in each and have not cleaned either of them.I used to clean every 500 rounds but did not find a great deal of copper fouling @ the 500 round mark.I run a nylon bristle brush down the barrel twice and a few dry cotton patches.They still shoot sub 1" to this day.I am not recommending this to anyone,just sharing my experience.If i burn up a barrel i will let it be known.But i doubt that might happen.
Old 03-05-2002, 02:37 AM

I've tried moly before and have decided that I really don't like it. I suggest you try breaking your barrel in properly by cleaning after ever shot for twenty rounds then every three shots until you hit fifty. If it still doesn't group then it may be time for a firelapping as a last resort before rebarreling. I've never seen or heard of anything that would shoot better with moly than without. Moly is just one of the latest and greatest fads that will go away soon.
Old 03-05-2002, 10:01 AM
bigcountry

Gun has over 300 rounds thru it. Just final finished this weekend. I will report what effect it had.

As far as accuracy, Jim, at the MD Carroll County Gun Range said to come on down and shoot your gun 500 rounds without cleaning without moly and he will do the same with and see who is more accurate then. He really impressed me.

As far as deciding you didn't like it, what were the problems? What made you decide not to like it. I am still in info gathering mode, so any information is appreciative. I am not looking so much for more accuracy, I got that already with naked bullets. I just shoot alot more than most hunters and don't like cleaning guns all day after shooting. If their is a better way, I want to know about it.

SSHunter, what way do you moly? Tumbler or buy them that way. Also, about how much more did you have to raise your loads to get the subMOA. Do you have the same success with 7mmMag that you do with your 22-250? Thanks again for the information.

Edited by - bigcountry on 03/05/2002 11:09:55

Old 03-05-2002, 08:26 PM

Big Country i started with winchester silvertips till i found the powder for the tumbler.That stuff goes a long way!I shoot every chance i get,and got so tired of cleaning the gun everytime i shot it,even during sessions.Kinda takes the fun out of shooting all day.I started using it on the 22-250,the gun shot great but would copper foul after 10-12 shots.I started loading with moly coating and i lost about 200fps,i needed 3 grains more powder to get the same velocity back and it doesnt foul or suffer accuracy wise one bit.The 7 mag i wanted to see if i could make a fast and accurate hunting load.With plain Noslers i could get to 3180 fps and started to find case head expansion and flattened primers.With moly and the same bullet ive reached 3380 with no case problems.I ended up 2.4 grains over max and quit messing around, i was quite pleased.Both guns were very accurate with any powder charge i was working up.That was weird.The 22 will shoot under 1/2 inch and the 7 mag under 3/4" all day long.Its fun to shoot.Alot of people i know tried without the same results but when prodded they admit to cleaning after 20 shots.They spend so much money on a rifle and are terrified at the thought of not cleaning it.Cant blame em though.I believe you cant benefit from moly if you dont use it as intended.Im still trying different things with it but so far i like it.