Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

moly coat

Old 06-28-2006, 06:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default moly coat

what the popular opinion on a moy coated bullet? I've heard good and I've heard bad.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: moly coat

Surprised no feedback on this. I have read (but I am no engineer) that moly coats leave a residue that builds up and cannot be removed. Sulphuric acid builds up under it. So I have not dashed out and bought any. If there are any dedicated users out there, perhaps they can relate their actual experience.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:22 PM
Banned

I have shot several hundred rounds of Hornady 55 grVmax moly through my 22.250 and my rifle bbl always cleans nice and shines like a diamond in a goats butt.. The ammo shoots awesome in my savage mod 12 also. HCH

Old 07-01-2006, 01:16 PM

I have hadmostly badexperiences as well. One rule about moly: if you shoot moly bullets, don't shoot any regular bullets. The mixture will really plug up your barrel. And even if you shoot moly exclusively, you will eventually create yourself a huge cleaning task. I have had a number of rifles in my shopwhere the owner thought the rifle was shot out. Groups were terrible, but the Hawkeye bore scope showed minimal throat erosion. Cleaning the bore over a period of days using brass brushes, solvent, hundreds of patches, and JB paste; the barrel when finally clean starting shooting well again. Although the barrel doesn't heat up any where near as fast as it does with conventional bullets, I still don't use or recommend moly.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:24 PM
Banned

Why would a company like Hornady want to ruin peoples guns? Sounds bad for business. I would think that if this ruined your gun than they would not want their name on the product. Maybe these guys just never clean their guns????HCH
Old 07-01-2006, 01:33 PM

It doesn't ruin your barrel - it just builds up over time to where the accuracy of the rifle goes south. This cleaning regiment recommended by some folks where you use a nylon brush and kroil just doesn't get the bore clean. It takes lots of elbow grease and hundreds of patches to restore the barrel's accuracy. I know there are big dog shooters out there who use moly, and major bullet manufacturers who sell them moly bullets. I'm done with this stuff personally. And so is every serious shoooter I know . . . .
Old 07-01-2006, 02:15 PM
Banned

Thanks for the info Roscoe, you are the gunsmith. While my gun bbl is immaculate on this 22.250 I will quit shooting it beforeI get it into trouble.HCH
Old 07-01-2006, 09:46 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: outdoorsmen

what the popular opinion on a moy coated bullet? I've heard good and I've heard bad.
I went down this road a few years ago and won't do it again. One, for the reloader, your pressures do drop and you need to go into no mans land to get it back. Two, it was a nasty job molying bullets. Three, the guys I know that have good luck moly'ing usually don't clean thier barrels. They like to keep thier barrels moly'd up, to get the benefits. And that led to other issues cause moly can be hydroskopic. I didn't like the fact its not good to shoot "naked" bullets because now the copper residue can be caught between moly layers. Moly was the big thing but has been falling off in the last 3-5 years.

Old 07-03-2006, 12:12 PM
Typical Buck

I shot the winchester ballistic tip 40 gr. in my savage mod 12 bvss. is it a moly bullet? i believe it is, I haven't looked it up yet, but will do so. I have only shot it like maybe 10 shots.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:34 PM

The moly coat bullets should have a dark gray or grayish blue look to them - not the usual bright copper color.

Quick Reply: moly coat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.