Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 What does "moly" mean >

What does "moly" mean

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

What does "moly" mean

Old 12-06-2007, 12:54 PM

Default What does "moly" mean

This may be a stupid question but I was curious.

I was looking at some bullets and there was the 55gr nosler bt and the 55 gr nosler bt moly

Sorry if this really is that dumb but I don't know
Old 12-06-2007, 01:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What does "moly" mean

ORIGINAL: Crittergiter

This may be a stupid question but I was curious.

I was looking at some bullets and there was the 55gr nosler bt and the 55 gr nosler bt moly

Sorry if this really is that dumb but I don't know
Molybdenum disulphide (MoS2)....... a superbly slick dry lubricant in the same category as powdered graphite, but with a lot lower coefficient of friction.....
Old 12-06-2007, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

Molybdenum disulphide (MoS2)....... a superbly slick dry lubricant in the same category as powdered graphite, but with a lot lower coefficient of friction.....
Do you think it makes difference if the bullet is moly coated or not? does it help it or hurt it. Why would i want them coated?
Old 12-06-2007, 07:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

okie...wish i knew where i read it...theres been great debates over pros and cons of shooting moly coated bullets...cant even remember what was said...do some googling...you should come across some reading on it...
Old 12-06-2007, 08:08 PM

[blockquote]Moly is a grefite lube....I have seen no benifit in them myself
and it is a bitch to clean out of your barrel..Harde than getting
the brass out even..I would not advise anyone to use them..
[/blockquote]
Old 12-06-2007, 09:26 PM
bigcountry

I myself have went down the moly yellow brick road, and made up my mind, I won't do it again. Several years ago, it seemed like a great idea.Its messy to moly your bullets, it helps some on cold bore shots, but is hydroscopic. And to get the real benefit, one has to keep thier barrel moly'd, and not clean it out.

Bare bullets for me.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:06 PM
Fork Horn

One reason I asked; When I got my rifle 9 yrs ago, i bought it from a shop where the pro swore by it. Being young and dumb, I said sure, ill shoot them. I bought it NIB and have only shot moly coated bullets in it ever since. Now, thats only about 200 rounds, but Ive never used a bore brush either w/ the intent on getting it out.

So I was just wondering if I was screwing up doing this and I should get it out b4 its too late, or since its what ive done from the start, its okay to continue. Id too like to know b4 i start handloading the 3-400 brass Ive acquired.

I recently asked this same guy to help me start the loading process and was asking about doing the moly coat....the process he described sounded messy as he!!.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

There's no reason to even mess with moly unless you have an absolute need to shoot 100 or more rounds in a row without fouling the barrel with copper. Its a whole lot of screwing around for very little benefit, worse still, the stuff will wreck your rifle bore if you live in a humid environment and don't scrub the stuff out carefully as soon as you are done shooting.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:24 PM

There's no reason to even mess with moly unless you have an absolute need to shoot 100 or more rounds in a row without fouling the barrel with copper. Its a whole lot of screwing around for very little benefit, worse still, the stuff will wreck your rifle bore if you live in a humid environment and don't scrub the stuff out carefully as soon as you are done shooting.
I'm curious how you think this stuff will wreck your barrel in a humid environment. I'm not for or against the use of moly as a bullet coating, but I am an Aircraft Electrical/Environmental Technician for the Air Force, and we use moly on every plane in our inventory for it properties as a lubricant and the fact that it is not corrosive.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

The big drawback of moly is the fact that it is very hard to get out of your barrel and moisture can get between the barrel and the moly

Quick Reply: What does "moly" mean

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.