Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 To moly or not to moly...? >

To moly or not to moly...?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

To moly or not to moly...?

Old 12-27-2008, 09:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default To moly or not to moly...?

What is your guy's opinion of moly? I got a box of Bergers (midway was out of non-moly) from my Dad, just not sure if I want to shoot them or not...???
Old 12-27-2008, 09:52 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: To moly or not to moly...?

Unless its a road you plan on traveling for a while, I wouldn't shoot moly thru my gun. I experiemented with it 8 years ago, and came to the conclusion to get the benefit of moly, you have to only shoot moly thru a gun, and you should premoly the barrel first. I am not saying it stays in the barrel forever, but it embeds itself pretty good.

I would pass.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

jk....I've never shot them, and don't intend to shoot them just because of the reason bigcountry said. I've heard too many reports from people who have had a rough time getting the moly out of the barrel. Seems you can't mix them with standard bullet types and not have some problems. JMO......
Old 12-28-2008, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't. The benefits do not come close to outweighing the drawbacks, imo. My understanding is that once you shoot moly coated bullets, you pretty much have to always shoot them, it's almost impossible to get the moly out of the bore once it's in there. Then there's the fact the molybdenum disulfide is hygroscopic (it attracts and traps moisture from the air), that can lead to barrel corrosion and pitting. My brother mentioned that he was thinking about trying moly coated bullets in his deer rifle when I was up there this year, and wanted to know what I thought about it. I talked him out of it.

Mike

Old 12-28-2008, 02:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

put them in the case tumbler, they'll come out nekkid. BC's right, ya heard alot about the benefits when moly first came out, then ya started hearing about the problems, the moly buildup in your barrel will wick moisture out of the air, if ya don't know it your barrel rusts under the moly and after cleaning the barrel is pitted.
RR
That was my next question, I'll just do that.

I shoot them on and off in my .223's, but they are not custom barreled.