Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Stuck case

Old 02-02-2009, 09:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default Stuck case

ok so i was going through some of my 30-06 brass and was depriming them well there was one case that got stuck in the die and i cannot get it out at all...i have tried every thing that i can think of took the die apart and tried to tap it out with a punch took a dremel tool and cut the case head trying to maybe relieve some of the pressure and also tried visegrips on it and nothing works....anyone else got any ideas? its an RCBS die and i contaced them to see what they tell me but thought someone here might know something i can try
Old 02-02-2009, 11:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Stuck case

Until you cut the case head yep, they make a puller for stuck cases. I have used (a few times) a 3/8 tap and a long 3/8 bolt and nut to pop them out. You drill the case head (remove the decaper first) tap it, use a spacer (such as a 1/2 deep 3/8 drive socket) put the nut and a washer on the bolt and run it all the way on. screw the bolt onto the case threw the socket, turn the nut and pop it out. But with no head to thread You might be in for a challenge.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:04 PM
bigcountry

You can stick it in the freezer for a while and try. Also submerge in penetrating oil.

Next time, drill a small hole in the bottom where the primer is, screw in a large wood screw, and you can get grip that way. Or buy a stuck case removal, which is simluar.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

By cutting the case off off you made your job about ten times harder, try the penetrating oil and freezer and try to get a purchase on the exposed portion with some needle nose pliers, otherwise your sol
Old 02-02-2009, 12:59 PM
Typical Buck

This may be useful in the future.
http://www272.pair.com/stevewag/reloading/reloading2.html
Old 02-04-2009, 05:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: CHAMP198

ok so i was going through some of my 30-06 brass and was depriming them well there was one case that got stuck in the die and i cannot get it out at all...i have tried every thing that i can think of took the die apart and tried to tap it out with a punch took a dremel tool and cut the case head trying to maybe relieve some of the pressure and also tried visegrips on it and nothing works....anyone else got any ideas? its an RCBS die and i contaced them to see what they tell me but thought someone here might know something i can try
Remove the decapping assembly and the expander button. With the head cut off, twist a tapered rattail rasp into the case walls inside of the cavity. It will bite into the brass of the case walls (don't insert it too far and mess up the die). Next,use a punch to tap the rest of the case out of the die, tapping on the top of the raspafter the decapping assembly is out of the die. If you have one, a thread-cutting die of the right size can be substituted for the rasp-anything that will twist into the case walls.....
Old 02-04-2009, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

If none of these ideas work the info that came with my Lee press says they'll remove a stuck case for $4.00.Not sure if that applies to all brands but if all else fails might be your best bet.Good luck!
Old 02-04-2009, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you have an open end where the case is cut off this should work. Take a snug fitting stainless steel chamber brush that happens to fit into the remaining case shell. Soak die in Kroil for a couple hours. Then take short brush handle put stainless brush on the handle and shove it into the case. Put back out...the bristles of the brush will grab the inner case walls and pull it free. If not send die to manufacturer and let them do it.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've used Eldeguello's method with a tap before. Works well.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

For future reference, most die manufacturers do make stuck case removal tools. Sound like your past that point this time. Also, Hornady will for their dies remove a stuck case, if you send it back to them. However, it's a pain and can get expensive just for postage. Better be sure to use case lub and have the stuck case remove tool next time.