Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Case Stuck in my Resizing die >

Case Stuck in my Resizing die

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Case Stuck in my Resizing die

Old 06-16-2005, 06:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default Case Stuck in my Resizing die

I have a 300WinMag case (WW) stuck in my resizing die. I broke the shell holder adaptor trying to get it out. Then I borrowed another press and chipped off the rim edges of the case. I backed out the primer punch and drilled out the head very carefully. Now I am trying to use vise grips to get it out. No luck. Any suggestions? I use One-Shot spray lub. May need to just buy another set of RCBS dies.

I think I am also ready for a Dillon AT500 press.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:19 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Case Stuck in my Resizing die

Can you take out the expander? You ought to let it soak in something for a few hours.

So let me get this right? You have removed the rim and now are trying to grip the brass with a set of vise grips?

I usually leave the rim on. Screw out the expander ball and take a long punch and knock it using the rim. I first soak it with liquid wrench for a while. But that doesnt' help you now.

The problem after I beat on these things for a while is I start questioning did I scratch something and bend my expander ball post.

Old 06-16-2005, 08:20 AM

I've only got a case stuck twice in a bunch of years reloading. The first time, I bought a 'stuck case removal tool' from RCBS. You remove/pull the expander ball/deprimer up as far as you can. Then you drill and tap where the primer pocket was, insert a special bolt and using the press, you can pull out the stuck case. If all else fails, send the dies back. They'll get it out for you but of course, you'll be without the dies for a couple weeks. Good luck
Old 06-16-2005, 09:54 AM

last time i got a case stuck was in a 22-250.i broke off the rim and it was stuck bad! we had to drill and tap the bottom of it and then we put a screw up in the tap hole so we could have something to pull on. then we torch the shell and it pulled right out w/ a pair of vice gripsafter about 3 or 4 mins of torchin the shell. the die still works fine but if u have to do that it worked. hope it helps
Old 06-16-2005, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the suggestions. Next time I'll leave the rim and head in place.

This die should be in great shape (before I drilled on it) and I did not damage it during the drilling process. I think I will just buya new neck sizer die and send this back to RCBS. But the cost of shipping and taking it to the post office will be as much as buying a new one.

I am questioning my use of One-Shot lubicant? Is that a good choice to use?
Old 06-16-2005, 06:23 PM

i bet your oneshot is workin the only thing i can think of is get a cleanin brush and put some graphite on the inside of the neck. there is very little space between the neck and the spindle screw thing. this is what my grandpa always has done and since i had the stuck shell i havent lost another one since ( i wasnt usin graphite when i got it stuck) i havent seen any difference in accuracy or consistency to fire. try it or see if u can find another lubricant that goes inside the neck. good luck
Old 06-17-2005, 01:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try sticking the die with the stuck case in a freezer overnight.

I am questioning my use of One-Shot lubicant? Is that a good choice to use?
Don't know much about that stuff. If you use RCBS caselube/pad and stick a case, then you would definately be doing something wrong.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had the same promlem last night with my 223 Fl die, When trying to pull the case out the rim chipped off aswell what I ended up doing was push the ram and shell holder back up on the rim then spin the shell holder so that it was gripping rim again then with my butane pen torch I heated the mouth end of the die while keep the torch on the die I put firm pressure on the lever and i guess as it heated enough the shell pulled right out. good luck.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:04 AM

vice grips and penetrating oil should get it out. put it in a vice and pull hard.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:52 PM
Spike

The best way to remove a stuck case is a RCBS stuck case remover kit. You can make your own with a 1/4-20 tap, #7 dril bit, 1/4-20 bolt and verious size washers. If the case head is to bad of shape to drill/Tap then you will need to unscrew the expander ball shaft untill it comes out of the top of the die. then you can get a small punch down inside the case and drive it out. If you do this you will have to buy a new expander ball as it will come off in side the case when you unscrew the shaft out of the die.

Quick Reply: Case Stuck in my Resizing die

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.