Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Can you reload winchester supreme brass? >

Can you reload winchester supreme brass?

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Can you reload winchester supreme brass?

Old 12-22-2008, 01:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default Can you reload winchester supreme brass?

Hi all,
I am new to reloading and have a friend who has a complete set-up that is willing to show me how to get started in lieu of the extremely high bullet prices now days. The only problem is, I usually shoot winchester supreme ammunition with my 7mm mag, and he is not sure if we can reload that brass or not? It is a silver casing, maybe chrome plated or some other alloy? I am not sure, but I thought I would ask you all if I can reload this ammunition or not? I have asked two other people who reload and received conflicting opinions: one says I can't, the other says I can? No reasoning for either, so I am a little confused now. Thanks for your help!
Old 12-22-2008, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Can you reload winchester supreme brass?

It is nickel plated and yes you can reload it. You should be able to get at least 5 or six reloads from each case before the plating starts to flake. You won't need any special tools or equipment to do it either. standard rifle dies for the 7mm mag will do fine it may just be a little stiffer when resizing when compared to regular brass cases.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:18 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks! Then I am good to go!
Old 12-25-2008, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can reload nickel brass, but I've never been a fan of the nickel-plated cases. They are harder on dies (make sure they are CLEAN when you size them), and they will flake eventually. My suggestion would be to just buy yourself a bag of Winchester (my preferred brand) of plain brass cases. A bag of 50 will cost you around $25 ($26.99 at MidwayUSA.com, but you have to pay shipping).

Mike

Old 12-26-2008, 06:25 AM
Typical Buck

You will get more mileage from them if you neck size only. As long as it's for the rifle you shot them in originally, it shouldn't be an issue. Try and chamber some fired rounds before resizing them. If they chamber with little difficulty, it should be fine.