Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Brass Life

Old 12-29-2008, 08:37 AM
bigcountry

Default Brass Life

Anyone read handloader? They have an article that is real interesting. They were trying to find the most accurate load possible for a 308win with all components available.

Anyway, they tested the brass life for like 10 different pieces of brass. It appears Norma and remington came out on top for lasting 18 shots before failure FL sizing them. Nosler and Fed came in last failing around 10 shots or less. Federal is not a huge surprise. But surprised remingtoncame in so well.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Brass Life

The last few batches of Remington brass that I have used (several calibers) have been very good. Consistent weight and good primer pockets.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:12 AM
bigcountry

But another thing that really surprised me is with the federal brass, they were able to get 10 firings without the primer pocket being so loose it wouldn't hold a primer. usually for me, the failure on federal is the primer pocket.

The failure on this test was case stretch near the rim.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe Rem brass has thicker walls than winchester( never used federal or anything other than rem and win) I weighed both and the rem cases are heaver by a couple grains.

You would think that the rem cases can be loaded more Xs but Ive found that winchester cases are easier to full length size after 2-3 loadings.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:58 PM
Typical Buck

Interesting post. It is good to see an actual evaluation tosee thruthe hype.

What I would like to see is a side by side comparison of full length sizing vs neck sizing. I am using Lee Collet dies andam curious if therehas been any data collectedto compare the two. I also wonder if the articles comparisonwas based on neck sizing would therankings change much.

Your timing isgreat because I wasgoing to orderLaupa brass with a Cabelas gift certificate and thought the Laupa would pay off in the long run but now think I may just stick with my remington brass.

PS: If you dont mind checking How did Laupa Fair?

Old 12-29-2008, 06:54 PM

WhenI order brass it is allways Lapua, I did the Norma thing once and when I tried Lapua it was a little tighter in the weight issue, and quiet a bit tighter in the price issue!
I would love to subscribe to Handloader Magazine, but they just ask way too much for a 6 issue per year rag.
BTW guys, I'm probably going to be in Philly.,next week to do a little repair work on some rails we have built for the city, if some of you live in that area and would like to meet this sweet old boy, abbr(SOB) just pm me and asap I'll forward where I'll be staying, who knows we might even down a few cold ones!
Old 12-29-2008, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't used anything but Winchester, I had too many reliable sources disparage Remington to me to bother trying them. So no personal experience. I neck size for my bolt guns and only FL for my Garand. Only on the second reload for the Garand cases so no info there, but I'm on reload #8 with hot loads in my 300WM and I haven't had to throw a case yet and accuracy is still great.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have had good luck with Remington brass,but Lapua brass is definitely of higher quality,and I use it when it is available.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:58 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Scott Gags

What I would like to see is a side by side comparison of full length sizing vs neck sizing. I am using Lee Collet dies andam curious if therehas been any data collectedto compare the two. I also wonder if the articles comparisonwas based on neck sizing would therankings change much.

Your timing isgreat because I wasgoing to orderLaupa brass with a Cabelas gift certificate and thought the Laupa would pay off in the long run but now think I may just stick with my remington brass.

First was Norma, then Remington, then Lapua. Next Winchester, then Federal, and surprisingly Nosler came in dead last.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Scott Gags

First was Norma, then Remington, then Lapua. Next Winchester, then Federal, and surprisingly Nosler came in dead last.
WOW! Remington ahead of Lapua! I would've never thought that one!!

I bet if they were running hot loads it might have turned out different...?

Quick Reply: Brass Life

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.