Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Brass Reload Life >

Brass Reload Life

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Brass Reload Life

Old 02-24-2008, 02:36 PM

Default Brass Reload Life

Just Curious, assuming each round is properly loaded, how many reloads are you likely to get from your brass?
After how many uses will they Need to be trimmed?
After how many uses would you throw it away for safety?
What companies offer the best quality, longest reloading life brass?

Companies:
Remington, Winchester, Lapua, Norma, Nosler, Hornady, Federal

is more expensive brass better and worth it?
Old 02-24-2008, 03:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Brass Reload Life

It all depends on the chamber and die dimensions,the pressure that you load to,and the brass.It also depends if you neck size or full length size.If the chamber is on the large size,the brass will be worked more by the die,shortening it's life.If you load to higher pressures,brass life will be shorter.If the brass is soft,life will be shorter.If you neck size,brass life will usually be longer.I usually get 8 to 10 loadings out of my 22-250,yet only about 6 loadings out of my 300ultramag and 7mmstw brass.I usually trim after the first firing,then after every two or three firings.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:00 PM

I hate to keep saying this Badger but this is an another area without a fixed answer...unless we simply keep saying "That depends." Stubblejumper has given you some of the main variables influencing case life and I am afraid there are others as well. The very caliber and make of your rifle can have something to do with case life. Some cartridges are just harder on brass or tend to stretch the neck more than others. Automatics are usually hard on brass by virtue of the way the action slams cartridges in and out...not to mention losing your brass for you by throwing it 12 feet to the right and into a mound of cactus or whatever.

It's great that you are eager and smart enough to ask when in doubt. But I think the biggest thing you need is just more experience loading and making your own observations. Much of the dark art of reloading is simply that and there is no shortcut to learning it all. (Not that any of us know it all by far.) We each learn our little areas and most of the time those lessons can be applied to other things. But you never stop learning in this game. When you know it all, they will simply change the questions.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:03 PM

Ditto---
Old 02-24-2008, 06:38 PM

ORIGINAL: Pavomesa

I hate to keep saying this Badger but this is an another area without a fixed answer...unless we simply keep saying "That depends." Stubblejumper has given you some of the main variables influencing case life and I am afraid there are others as well. The very caliber and make of your rifle can have something to do with case life. Some cartridges are just harder on brass or tend to stretch the neck more than others. Automatics are usually hard on brass by virtue of the way the action slams cartridges in and out...not to mention losing your brass for you by throwing it 12 feet to the right and into a mound of cactus or whatever.

It's great that you are eager and smart enough to ask when in doubt. But I think the biggest thing you need is just more experience loading and making your own observations. Much of the dark art of reloading is simply that and there is no shortcut to learning it all. (Not that any of us know it all by far.) We each learn our little areas and most of the time those lessons can be applied to other things. But you never stop learning in this game. When you know it all, they will simply change the questions.
lol ok i understand thanks for the help though
Old 02-24-2008, 06:53 PM

Wehave allasked LOTS of questions, BB.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:45 PM
Fork Horn

Lapua is the best followed closley and I meen very closley by Norma. After that I think It's a crap shoot. Nosler has some pretty nice brass which is probably 3rd in my book.I like Remington as the next choice but I hear others say Winchester. I hate anything that is nickle, too hard!! Other than that follow Stubblejumpers advice
Old 02-25-2008, 12:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gunnermhr

Lapua is the best followed closley and I meen very closley by Norma. After that I think It's a crap shoot. Nosler has some pretty nice brass which is probably 3rd in my book.I like Remington as the next choice but I hear others say Winchester. I hate anything that is nickle, too hard!! Other than that follow Stubblejumpers advice

I agree almost completely. I like the nickel brass. I use it in my 45-70. I have never had any problems with the nickel. Tom.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

But at double the cost, or more, the brass better live a longer life, and usually the primer pockets will loosen up on all brass, so no matter which brand of brass you use, the usable life is no longer. The high dollar brass is usually better quality brass right out of the bag, but that doesn't mean that you'll get more loadings out of it!
Old 02-25-2008, 05:40 PM

I think you're right on, Howler.

Quick Reply: Brass Reload Life

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.