Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
 Bullets fly at illegal Lanark deer hunt >

Bullets fly at illegal Lanark deer hunt

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Bullets fly at illegal Lanark deer hunt

Old 06-18-2003, 07:43 PM

Default RE: Bullets fly at illegal Lanark deer hunt

Grumpy Tom, in this area we first lost the first week of November when they opened a shotgun season, we were not allowed to bowhunt during that week. I had no problem with that, then they extended the season and again I had no problem, with the longer shotgun season they allowed archery aswell. Now they close 2 weeks of the archery season for a special muzzleloader season in December (Brought about because of some strong lobbying by personal friends of the Minister of Natural Resources). So I have lost some hunting time, and I`m not selfish as I said I`ll allow guns to have all of September hell give them October too if their willing to leave the November woods to us stick and string guys. Seems everytime some group wants a longer season they want the peak of the rut etc. and always use the excuse " Well those bowhunters got a 3 month season so just let us have November" . Anyone who believes that the best part of the fall to deer hunt is the start of October is a bloody fool. And remember IT`S NOT EVERYONES SEASON, IT`S WHO EVER CAN WHINE THE LOUDEST AND THREATEN TO SHOOT DEER IN JUNES SEASON. Mark my word, the rifle season will be extended in Lanark County and then the muzzleloaders will want a season just for them and it will go on and on. Hell, I dared to suggest that maybe a youth season for turkeys so the 12 to 15 year old hunter apprentices could enjoy 2 days prior to the regular season and the older hunters had a fit. Comments like thats not fair letting the young kids get a head start on us etc. You want to talk selfish, remember these are the same kids who after a few bad hunts just say " thanks but no thanks, I stick with my Nintendo" If the last few years is any indication, in another 20 years there`ll be no young hunters because either the law makes it to hard or too many middle aged hunters are too caught up in the whole macho hunter attitude to take any young kids with them. I would feel far better if the above examples were rare but sadly they are far to common, to many find that they judge the success of their season by tags filled and not time spent in the outdoors with good friends.
Old 06-18-2003, 09:36 PM
Typical Buck

Turk_man I will assume that you are hunting near where you live. Areas 71, 72, 73, & 74 all allow archery during all gun seasons. Three years ago, even the muzzleloader only special week was opened up to the bows. Then you said:
Now they close 2 weeks of the archery season for a special muzzleloader season in December (Brought about because of some strong lobbying by personal friends of the Minister of Natural Resources). So I have lost some hunting time,
Where in Ontario is there a 2 week special muzzleloading season in December. I have personally hunted in areas 73 & 72 (later 72A) for over the last 10 years. The only time archery was restricted was during the special muzzleloader season when it first started. The Peterborough MNR office told me that it was opened up for archery because the bow hunters cried to get it opened up for them, that was why bows were included in the special muzzleloader week. They also told me that if archery hunters were to ask their local district offices, they would get to become included with muzzleloaders in the other weeks as well.

I am sorry, but unless you are hunting is a special area that I do not know about, your facts are wrong. You list Port Hope as home, if you hunt " in this area" , archery is open from Oct 1 - Dec 31. Only thing is that you have to share the woods for 3 weeks, 2 in November and 1 in Dec.
Old 06-18-2003, 09:49 PM

something really stinks about all this .we all know that deer numbers have gone thru the roof . where i hunt they had to put up deer fence as well , that is part of doing bussness . i would love to really see where this farmer looses 40,000 a year from damage . i have also seen on other sites about this that the mnr has set up a hunter program with over 300 names on it and the farmers say no bodie is hunting on my proporty, if this is the case then those farmers should live with what they got (a S@#$ load of deer). im pretty shure that the deer that are there in the summer are there in early fall. i just think this has something to do with insurance and somebody trying to collect. . also where i hunt they just had to install a beaver fence to stop beavers from eating there orchard.. again it cost the farmer large but there are grants to help offset the cost . I WOULD REALLY LOVE TO SEE PICS AND DOLLAR AMOUNTS THAT HAVE BEEN REPORTED TO INSURANCE COMPANY . i might get some heat out of this. but i have seen deer tear the orchard apart . and they let ever body and i mean everybody hunt there they damage to there proporty from huters out weight the damage from the deer

PS grumpy i have it on good authoraty that by next year we will have to pay to hunt in the muzzel loading season . and that will cost us another 32 bucks for one week . so it is just a matter of time i think we should have a latter season from nov to late jan for everybody