Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer feeders illegal?

Old 07-24-2007, 03:54 PM

Default Deer feeders illegal?

I was just told that using deer feeders is illegal in some states... is this true? I've only been hunting in Texas, Louisiana and Mississippi and had never heard about this...

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2007, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer feeders illegal?

yea its true. thats why i keep my happy butt in the lone star state.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:12 PM

thanks... I've only hunter feeders in S. Texas with the old man... and food plots in LA, MS.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, no can do in Illinois
Old 07-24-2007, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes sir, you better not EVER have or use a feeder or mineral lick here in IL !!! Our IDNR has NO tolerence for it. In fact, here tey'll confiscate your truck, weapon and anything used in the "crime" if your caught hunting on the same property as a feeder or any bait! The only thing legal here are foodplots.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cornfed is right but many people use Salt Blocks here in southren Illinois and the Game Wardens don't pay attention to it..they are more worried about Poaching witch goes on a lot here.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:01 PM
Spike

they were illegal in nd untill a few years ago
Old 07-25-2007, 09:23 AM

Illegal as heck here in MN. But many people up North and in remote areas do it. The DNR conducted huge busts during firearms seasons last year and it revealed what a widespread problem it was, I mean still is. One DNR agent cut open the stomach of a guy's deer and corn spilled out of it. When the DNR agent questioned the guy, he replied, that's not from my property. I use whole corn. That's cracked corn. Must be my neighbor.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:45 AM

Of course its not illegal to feed wildlife. You can own and use deer feeders. Its just illegal to hunt there. I know in missouri that all feed/ bait must be removed something like 60 days prior to hunting an area or it considered baited. So if you put out corn 30 days prior to season and even if all the corn is gone you still are not supposed to hunt the area.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

in CA our codes read it is illegal to "knowingly feed big game" and it is illegal to hunt within 400 yards of a "baited area" --anything used to attract the animal.....

so no food plots, salt blocks, corn, etc...

Quick Reply: Deer feeders illegal?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.