Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Sask Hunt

Old 03-16-2008, 11:40 AM

Default RE: Sask Hunt

Wow. Very impressive!! What did he score? I'd guess somewhere in the 180-200 range.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: banacho

For this hunt I will be hunting with a 7mm-08 Remington BDL. I'm planning to shoot Remington Core-Lokt 140gr pointed soft points. I've shot many whitetails in Pennsylvanian without them ever taking a step. I also have a back-up 30-06 that I'm going to bring. Not totally decided on which gun I'll use. What do you guys think?
140gr Nosler Partitionin the 7mm 08 or 165-180gr NP in the 06 would be great combo's. Not a fan of corelokts personally would rather a standard bullet such as: Hornady Interlock, Speers Grand Slam, etc. Think of the investment your making on this trip unless that is the only bullet you can get shooting then why?? You put a nick intop a buck and your hunt is over. JMO but better to be over kill then under.

That is a great buck your dad got slayer. Love them brows, he's got great character!!! I'd say 180-185 gross.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:25 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah I love the character too. He had him in our basement as I was growing up, and I asked him if he cared if I took it and hung it on our wall in my APT...since my mom didn't want him hangin it in sight.

I rough scored it a few years back and he was in the 180s. I would like to get the mount redone since you can tell it is a little old and a poor mount. think he paid 50 bucks to have it done when he shot it. I also have my grandpas that is even older that was done for 30 somethin. He is just a small nine. Also could use some rework. My grandma gave me my grandpas mount when she was moving out of her house. She opened the closet door and I think she saw my eyes light up. I didn't even know she had it. I immediately took it across the street to our house.

So I have 3 generations of deer hangin on our wall...pretty cool thing to have.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:34 PM
Typical Buck

Don't listen to this Skeeter guy...he has no idea what big deer even look like, look at his old posts and all you will see him shooting is little "dink" bucksJust kidding bud. Listen to his advice, the man knows what he's doing and it's nice to havve someone in that neck of the woods to get some tips you might not ever even think of. Definately get some Big buck mags to see the pigs in Sask. but remember they aren't all that big so shoot straight and don't be too picky your first time there (unless you are willing to go home empty handed). Good luck and keep us posted on your hunt!
Old 03-17-2008, 06:08 PM

Thanks again for the info. I am going to stick to the interbonds unless I can't get them to shoot. If that is the case I'll switch over to accubond. both seem like a good all around bullet that I can use back here in PA when I get back. we'll keep you posted on our hunt.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Understandable, just thought seeing a new load for this hunt and cost of the hunt if your going to kill it might as well overkill it.Reload or factoryMO? I am sure you'll findone of these bondeds to shoot. If factoryammo could also consider the new tipped TBBC that federal premium is loading(160gr 7mm rem mag). I suspect this will be an improvement over the TBBC in terms of BC, should make it not only robust but more aerodynamic for down range work as well.

Best of luck

BTWI have personally used both the AB and IB to harvest sask. whitetails and mulies with the 7mm rem mag. I also killed a few bigger animals as well with them
Old 03-21-2008, 06:37 PM

I purchased 2 boxes of Federal Premium 140gr Nosler Partitions today for my 7mm-08. Haven't had a chance to shoot them yet but I'm anxious to see how they do. After talking it over w/ some other hunters that use this gun w/ core lokts. I agree these are probably the more reliable way to go for this hunt, even though I've never had any problems w/ them. I will be shooting the NPs throughout the summer as well as the 06 that I'm also bringing on this trip. Thanks skeeter for your advice, I really appreciate it. I'm sure I'll be throwing other questions out there as the hunt gets closer. Stay tuned.

Thanks Again!
Charlie