Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Sask Hunt

Old 02-26-2008, 10:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Sask Hunt

ORIGINAL: smlgobears

I am the lucky one hunting with Charlie in Saskatchewan. Thanks for the info Skeeter. One more question. Do you know what type (if any) of 2 way radio would work for our hunt?
First post so welcome if new or welcome back if your just coming back...LOL

No problems glad to help if/when I can.I hope you guys have a great hunt and time.

As far as 2 ways we use Midland 650's GMRS(5 watt), they are by far the best ones i have personally used. In the forest 2 mile range is real under most conditions. In areas that aren't as tough on frequency we have gotten 4-5 miles out the Midlands. That is double or more then any Motorola, Cobra, etc GMRS could do IME. However in all honesty I don't think you need to worry about 2 ways. I doubt very highly you'll be with in range of charlie to use one.If the outfitter/guides use 2 ways for communication they will provide them to you.Just my take, I'd refer or direct the question to your outfitter before buying or packing them.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:53 PM

thanks for the info. i appreciate it.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:24 PM

As promised I have a few more questions. Any advice in preparing my rifle for extreme cold weather hunt? I am using a 7mag, stainless barrel, and synthetic stock. The gun is only a year old. I plan on degreasing and using a high grade spray oil on the firing pin that I know will stand up in extreme cold. I'm not sure if any other preparation should be done. Anything I should check with the scope rings/mount? Not sure if there are any common failures I should prepare for.

Also, I normally shoot 150gr ballistic tips in Pennsylvania. For our saskatchewan hunt I plan on using 154gr hornady interbonds. Everything I have read is that the interbond will have a controlled expansion that will not separate from the core. The ballistic tips typically have a rapid expansion which work good at the 200 - 300 yrds that are typical in some of my previous hunts. My thought is that given the short range (80 - 130 yds) the more controlled expansion will be better given the velocity at that range. Any advice here?
Old 03-14-2008, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

good luck and stay warm!
Old 03-14-2008, 09:08 PM
Spike

I am from Ontario and we get the same general whether conditions that time of year as Sask.
For cold conditions while hunting I use a silicone lubricant for my gun. More of a grainy type of lube that does'nt freeze up as much as your best oils.
I have always used a 180 gr bullet, 30.06 for those 70-175 yrd shots. We too have an average 220-250 lbs deer here anda few over 300 lbs. That does the job.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:03 PM
Typical Buck

bring one of these. I wouldnt hunt sask without it.

http://www.heaterbodysuit.com/index.htm
Old 03-15-2008, 10:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: smlgobears

As promised I have a few more questions. Any advice in preparing my rifle for extreme cold weather hunt? I am using a 7mag, stainless barrel, and synthetic stock. The gun is only a year old. I plan on degreasing and using a high grade spray oil on the firing pin that I know will stand up in extreme cold. I'm not sure if any other preparation should be done. Anything I should check with the scope rings/mount? Not sure if there are any common failures I should prepare for.

Also, I normally shoot 150gr ballistic tips in Pennsylvania. For our saskatchewan hunt I plan on using 154gr hornady interbonds. Everything I have read is that the interbond will have a controlled expansion that will not separate from the core. The ballistic tips typically have a rapid expansion which work good at the 200 - 300 yrds that are typical in some of my previous hunts. My thought is that given the short range (80 - 130 yds) the more controlled expansion will be better given the velocity at that range. Any advice here?
I don't do anything different for the cold weather when it comes to my firing pin,etc. Justroutine maint, clean, light oil where needed and put it back together till the next time. Typically I do this 1 to 2 times yearly depending on how many shots or if i get it excessively wet. I use Breakfree CLP. On the extrerior of my bores i use BC Barricade or G96. On the lugs and slides of my bolts when the temp drops in the - range I use Dri lube and re-apply it as needed (depends on hiow much you work the action, etc might be daily or every few days). Never had a problem with freezing to -40's.

As far as mounts I always check my ring screws as part of regular maint. to ensure they remained seated. If using a quality ring/bases you shouldn't have much to worry about. I use Leupold and Warne's never had a problem withmounts.I suppose you could pull the rings and check the base screws prior to working on sight in JIC.

I use the 7mm rem mag as well. I use and like both of the bullets you mention - 150 NBT & 154IB. However for your situation no real need for a polymer tipped bullet or boattail design - range will not be the issue as you have pointed out. If you reload I'd try workingup a 150 or 160gr Nosler partition. If you buy factory ammo try the federal premium 160 NP. Its a great bullet for the situation you'll face, whether a high shoulder, raking or classic behind the shoulder shot it'll get the job done. Short or long range. Excellent terminal performance - penetration when needed and expansion to create wound channel/trauma..are within it's design. I have no doubts the 154IB will also work asI have seen it but considering the investment and the higher the normal odds you'll be faced with a shorter range shot that may not be on perfect positioned animal I just like the Nosler part, etc vs a polymer bonded type. However you gun will be the real decision maker.NP isthe bullet most recommend by sask. outfitters.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:07 AM
Fork Horn

Carry a good quality pair of bino's. Maybe try a few shots out to 250-300 yds, could possibly be hunting logging cuts.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:28 AM
Typical Buck

Nice, I hope to get up into Canada someday when I have the Money.

Here is a buck my dad took back in the 70s up near Saskatoon I believe. They used to go up every year, no guide back then, just a guy his dad knew.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:36 AM

For this hunt I will be hunting with a 7mm-08 Remington BDL. I'm planning to shoot Remington Core-Lokt 140gr pointed soft points. I've shot many whitetails in Pennsylvanian without them ever taking a step. I also have a back-up 30-06 that I'm going to bring. Not totally decided on which gun I'll use. What do you guys think?

Quick Reply: Sask Hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.