Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Sask Hunt

Old 02-22-2008, 08:04 PM

Default Sask Hunt

A buddy of mine and I just booked a hunt in Saskatchewan for Nov 16-22. The outfitter is http://www.jdoutfitting.ca.

Has anyone ever been to this outfitter or hunted in Saskatchewan before? I'm totally pumped about this trip. I've been doing my homework and checked many references and everyone tells me the same thing. It's cold... Deer are massive and 130-140s are everywhere... be patient. I'm looking for some good info that will help me make the most of it.

Thanks
Charlie
Old 02-22-2008, 08:10 PM

Default RE: Sask Hunt

Well luck youcongrats...I sure wish I get to do something like that one day
Old 02-22-2008, 08:32 PM
Inactive

What part of Saskatchewan are you hunting? You might try pm'ing some of the guys fron Sask. that are members here. I am sure they would be more than happy to fill you in.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:39 PM

We will be in Preeceville, hunting the Porcupine forest.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

I live in Saskatchewan. We have an elk camp located to the east near Swan Plain, SK, so iknow the area pretty well. Most of my time spent in theforest has been from Endeavour (north of preeceville) to Swan Plain chasing moose, elk and bear.I have seen lots of deer and harvested a few over the years in zone 56 (whereI assume you'll be). It's a game rich area, no doubt about it. I have not heard of jdoutfitting and the link doesn't work so unsure of what territory you'll be hunting exactly. BTW the Porcupine portion of the forest covers several miles and more then just one outfitter has specific area's in it!!

It can be cold and snowy here anytime in nov. However it can also be unseasonably warm and no snow.Can also be both in only a week.Long and short bring lots of layers so you can dress up or down.

Yes big bodied for sure - bucks topping 250lbs is normal and approaching or breaking 300lbs aren't uncommon either.Yes we have our share of big antlered bucks but they ain't tied up behind every tree either.130-150 is a realistic expectation, with bigger always a possibility. However it's hunting and after over 25 years of hunting here sometimes finding even a respectable buck can be a heck of a task! Be patient you have 6 days to hunt, at an ave of 8 per day in nov.you got 48hr of huntingto try and find HIM.

I suggest doing some research by videos, etc that will help allow you guys to judge the bigger bodied deer we have. Having guided myselfI can't tell you how manytimes I heard "he looked huge"...and he was in body but his rack didn't match. Also if your not use to field judging, now is the time to start brushing up on the skill. Do not be affraid to ask for guidance in this regard.

As you know you'll most likely be hunting over bait, the common practice here whenoutfitting forwhitetails in the forest.This should allow you some extra seconds to look over animals, however the big guys like to stand in the shadows a lot and may not come out in the wide open. These baits become scrapes, scent lines vs food during the rutting phases. So be attentive and don't be fooled by what you may see on tv withthe big ole buck cruising right in and offering you a nice/easy shot opp.

Something I think you should know is the past few winters (this one included) Saskatchewan has had heavy snowfalls and this has impacted our deer herd in many areas. The fact the past 2 years snow has come hard, fast and in bunchs during nov,it has impacted mature bucks who are physically drained due to the rut. The reality is the forest and fringe areas have been hit the worst by mother nature and the deer herd is down from its extremely high population in the past decade as a result. Stillgood deer and great deer hunting to be had in these areas just maybe not likeit was afew years ago. I suggest you contacting some 07' hunters from your outfitter, as they'd be better at giving you info about your area exactly. Especially those who have hunted previously in the area as well. Not trying to be a bummer, just being honest and sharing info as a sask resident.

Best of luck and enjoy
Old 02-23-2008, 11:43 AM

Thanks for the info. I have contacted a few of the references on the outfitter's website and feedback has been positive. You're not a bummer at all. I want as much honest feedback as possible. As a resident of Pennsylvania, seeing a handful of deer per day in the areas that I hunt is a good day... so I'm sure seeing any amount of quality bucks will be an incredibly different experience for me.

Do you have any good resources on field scoring/estimating size of a good buck in Sask? I've been looking around on the web but I'll admit, I just booked this trip a few day ago and haven't had a chance to really apply myself as much as I will in the coming months. If I come away from this trip with good 130-150 class buck, I will be more than happy.

Thanks again.
Charlie
Old 02-23-2008, 07:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mags such as Big Buck (produced in saskatchewan), pictures on websites/forums/blogs, videos are possible sources.

#1 tip forget about the body and neck sizewhile your judging the rack!!
Use visual aides such as:

Spread same as everywhere relaxed tip to tip runs 15-16" so compare inside spread.

Beams look for beams that sweep to the nose on a typical rack, will give you 22-25" beams(depending on the wrap). Look at the spacing between the G's(tines) if really tighton a 4 or 5x it means shorter beams. Ithen use the tine measurement aid below for such and as well on layed out beams or ones that you can't get a good feel for.

Tines: Visuals : Ave eye to nose measurement on a whitetail buck is 8-9" or the ears from base to tip ave. 6". Compare his tines (g's) or imagining them in this space will help you get an idea of tine length. In my mind unless a 4x is really high he will have a tough time taping 150" mark...so i study 4x's very closely as they can be deceiving. I have been on both sides of the coinwith 4x's.

Circum. (H's) mature deer in saskatchewan will pull 4" ave perH ( so its pretty much a given on a mature deer here has got 32-36" of mass on top). Though they can be much higher andlower. Comparing the base of the antler to the base of the deers ear can be used. the 4" base will be smaller then the ear base IME, if close to the ear base size they will be 5-6" bases indicating relaly good mass in 40" range for the deer. If bigger they are exceptional in mass and will see 45" or plus on the score sheet. This is by far the toughest attribute to judge in the field so the best way is looking at mounts and pictures to get a feel for a general rule of thumb to use.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:57 PM

That's the kind of quality information that I'm looking for. Thank you for your help and please stay tuned as I'm sure I'll have other questions in the next few months. I really appreciate it. Hopefully when I get back I'll have some good pics and stories to share.

Thanks again.
Charlie
Old 02-26-2008, 08:04 PM

I am the lucky one hunting with Charlie in Saskatchewan. Thanks for the info Skeeter. One more question. Do you know what type (if any) of 2 way radio would work for our hunt?
Old 02-26-2008, 09:32 PM
Fork Horn

thats a dream hunt right there.....one day.....

Quick Reply: Sask Hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.