2008 Canadian Whitetails >

2008 Canadian Whitetails

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

2008 Canadian Whitetails

Old 04-08-2008, 11:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 2007 Canadian Whitetails

I know lots of guys who are buying used but nobody has bought new.as i understand it you need a certificate of origin for customs, pay the approraite GST and duty on purchase. Have it certified for canadian standards. Also you will have to pay PST on the full purchase amount or blue book if they deem unacceptable(too low)before plating. Vehicles bought outside Saskatchewan have no PST exemptions.

Well I bought a new iron the other day LHbrowning abolt SS stalker chambered in a 338wm. Hopefully this weekend will have time to start some prelim loads for it and head to the range before the temp gets to high. With any luck I'll be sending 225grs down her snout shortly. 3x9x40 Zeiss Conquest held on by lapped Leupold DD rings(for now any waystill thinking about trying some Talley LW's).
Old 04-11-2008, 12:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

FYI Sask 2008 Hunting Guide is out on the website. The changes are nowhere as drastic as rumored. Basic overview of the changesfor more detail refer to the serm website)

Elk - archery remains status quo 2 weeks. Rifle season is back to 2 weeks of Bulls Only(don't agree).
Moose - archery gets an additional week (the first week of october is added which is bang on for rut in most areas)
Whitetails - no anterless tagsin the fringe or forest zonesand no second buck tag for the forest (VERY GOOD!!!!)
Mulies - fewer draw zones as they are adding a number to the new CWD program -earn a buck program ageneral over the counter 2 skin head tags for 20 ea.and then if you turn over the heads get aeither tag - 38 ( Canadian residents can also buy 2 anterless mulie tags for these zone - no either tag though. Rules to accept heads are much stricter then previous, land loaction, townsite, GPS Cords.

In the CWD target zones an anterless whitetail tag is now available and general either sex whitetail tag can be used at the same time as the mulie CWD tags which means rifle season is extended in these zones by 2 weeks (nov. 1 - Dec 6th). Saskabush 29 is in the CWD target zone this year!

No free CWD tags &limited to a max of 3 per hunter.Minor changes to the draw.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:53 PM
Typical Buck

I heard we get Sunday hunting pretty much all through the rovince except in the zone I hunt![]
Old 04-13-2008, 08:36 AM

Hey guys, I got the job! A full time permanent teaching position in my hometown. Its 8-12 physed and one other subject to be determined yet. They are building a new school also in 2 years with a huge gym and all new equip. I am soooo pumped i will be able to stay here and live 4 miles outta town. Got things for the truck mostly in line just waiting on the title now which will be about 2-3 weeks then have to fax in some paper work 72 hours b4 i cross and I am good to go. I don't have to pay duty on the truck as it was manufactured in the US i talked to 2 different border crossings and they both told me the same thing. Pay gst at the border and some other minimal fees then get it saftied at crappy tire, then pay my pst when i get my plates. Having a bit of a chit show getting the nerf bars that i want but will see if i can get that sorted out within the next few days. So this means i will be home for this hunting season and the next 30. about time.... Puttin in for draw elk, moose. Changing that elk season back to bulls only doesn't suprise me at all, they are not known for their swift moves over on that end. I think i might get my dad in onthe late cow season if he can draw. Other than that the snow took a lickin here the last 2 days and a guy can get around in the field with a quad now but still too much snow in fenclines so you are limited. The river will break in about a week I figure then the spring beaver season will be on. Going to get my traps out today and do some tuning up and checking, got the 17hmr all ready to roll and just waitin on the ice break. Not many gophers here jd so we turn to beavers lol......
Old 04-13-2008, 02:15 PM
Typical Buck

Dan
Congrats on the Job,nice to be able to stay where you grew up HUH!. Good luck on your draws.I just got a new job as a driller for the local drilling co, and now have lost 32 years with my last job. The good thing is,I'll be tripling my wage from the last 32 years and can see that retirement is now going to happen by the age of 55, yahoo. I can't believe the money their willing to pay me.God is great.Best of luck Dan in your new position and don't be to hard on those teens that will stand up to you & challenge you,LMAO.
Rocky
Old 04-14-2008, 12:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

CONGRATS DAN!

Good luck in the draws btw. I am putting in for Moose, stand a good chanceof a tag withSuper A status back. Haven't decieded what we're doing for elk split on whether we shouldput in forthe cow draw or not.[&:]2008 draw quote is 700 cow tagsfor the combined zones. I want to put in for loper's though haven't been pulled for 4 years now of being super A[]! However if we put in for the elk draw I'll just 99 lopers this year[&o], so we'll see. Snow here is gone, I even heard the rumbles of lawn mowers today for the die hards. It was a very nice day here today+23 c, though plenty of time to cut and work on lawn so I have little desire to start that process yet[8D].

Old 04-16-2008, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dan, good to get the phone call the other day! Congrats bud, I couldnt be happier for you. Up there teaching and being able to be close to the Ma an Pa and the farm! Awesome, now land yourself a little hotty and have a couple kids! LMAO
Old 04-17-2008, 05:09 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats Hia and YF on the new jobs!

Skeet, I guess it could be worse. They've scaled back the free for all approach. I don't think that zone will ever be the same. Picked up the new copy of BB. Another fine editorial

I was able to go home to Saskatchewan earlier this month for a few days of shedding in the old spots. Overall quality and quantity weren't what they once were but I still found enough to have a good time and managed to put some miles on the dog.

First find of the trip glassed from across the clearing

On the way over to pick up the first I came across this nice fresh mulie shed

laying next to it were a matched set of spikes from last year

Day two was a little slower, another decent mulie shed and a bunch of old forkers and small wt sheds.
Days three and four produced another big year old mulie shed and last years same side as the first big one.

I also picked up the ony decent sized whitetail shed of the trip

After the fun was over I had to go to work. I was in pretty good deer country and a few of the guys in the crew picked up decent sheds on our morning surveys. I got skunked but did see some photo worthy critters.

The Red Deer River.

Old 04-18-2008, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

Can non-residents hunt mule deer in Saskatchewan? Semm's like there are alot of big deer there.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:56 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: WhitetailsInc.info

Can non-residents hunt mule deer in Saskatchewan? Semm's like there are alot of big deer there.

No, the only big game species available to non-residents are whitetails, moose and black bear. With a few exceptions (like indian reserves), outfitters are only allowed to operate in the northern forest zones of the province, most of the good mulie hunting is found in the central and southern portions of the province.

Antlered mulies are off limits for Canadian residents also. As an Alberta resident I can look but not touch.

Quick Reply: 2008 Canadian Whitetails

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.