2008 Canadian Whitetails >

2008 Canadian Whitetails

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

2008 Canadian Whitetails

Old 08-05-2007, 07:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default 2008 Canadian Whitetails

I thought it was about time to update for '07, so I'll break the ice. How olddo you think my '06 Bow Zone buck was? I was thinkinghe was2 1/2yrs old? Let's hear it guys, I won't cry.

Old 08-06-2007, 02:10 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 2007 Canadian Whitetails

i dont see his G ones but ill say 3,1/4
Old 08-06-2007, 01:56 PM
Fork Horn

Looks 3 1/2 to me early. tough picture to judge from. it may even be 4 1/2 but i'd lean towards 3 1/2. his body and face look like they still had some filling out to do.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Fellow's, that's what my guide said, 3 1/2yrs. I thought he would have a larger rack at 3 1/2yrs than he did, especially in the Edmonton Bow Zone!He did weigh300lbs though.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

early, two reasons I say he's 3 1/2 not 2 1/2. First his neck and chest are simply two big for a 2 1/2 year old deer but are still not as thick and filled in as i'd expect from a prime buck. Second, his antler bases (pedicles) have started moving to the side of his skull. A 2 1/2 buck would still have them closer together and more on the top of his skull. Also, his bases are too big for 2 1/2 but too small for a prime deer. there's definately exceptions to that rule but in general a 2 1/2 buck's skull (and skeleton) hasn't fully developped and his bases will be closer together than your buck.

Part of the reason the edmonton bow zone is as good as it is has to do with access. more posted land = more bucks live to maturity and overall densities are higher. the genetics are no better/ worse than anywhere else in western canada and that looks like a textbook 3 1/2 year old buck anywhere that i've hunted. Good deer with a bow either way. Congrats again! Are you coming back this year?
Old 08-06-2007, 05:26 PM
Fork Horn

Here an example of a 3 1/2 deer (top) vs a 2 1/2 buck (bottom). I used to have an aging chart (lost it in a computer crash) that allowed me to age these two so i'm 99% sure they are correct. The top buck looks pretty comparable to your deer early in. Notice the difference in the size and thickness of the bone in the skulls.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Again, I learned something new here, I love it. Sask, that's intresting stuff. Thank's. You're right about the Zone, it's almost all private and there hasn't been any gun hunting since the mid 70's which also lets them live much longer. Am I hunting the Zone again this season? You could bet borrowed money on it!!I'll be hunting Nov 12th-17th, mayI have the same conditions I had last year. Cold and lots of snow!
I need to honest about something here. While that buck I killed last year was anice deer which I'm proud of,and ismy personal biggest so far,it really isn't what I go to Alberta to kill. I know the Zone is probably one of the very best places on this earth to kill a monster whitetail. They are there!Ibelieve that I needed to prove to myself that I could take a Bow Zone buck. That was my 2nd year there, and my next tothe last day ofmy hunt.This season he really needs to be a good one or he walks. I feel better now.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:19 PM
Typical Buck

Well said & shown Sask! It's always nice to see pics to explain exactly what you are describing.
early...I live here and can see your point, I say that every year and still am in search of my first whitetail bruiser. I have finally learnt to be patient, but have also gone home empty handed pretty much every year. I know it'll pay off one year but it would suck paying the $$ you are, and going home empty handed. Keep that perspective till the last day is how I would look at it. As long as it's a respectable deer (as per your pic), you will be content. Here's hoping it'll be a successful year to everyone!
Old 08-07-2007, 04:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, JD it does get costly. It's around $5000 when it's all said and done! I hope I don't need to spend $50k before I kill a real pig.But you know what? As long as I'm able to afford it, I'll still come up there reguardless of my track record. That is one incredible place to be able to hunt giant whitetails.
I'll be sitting in mytree stand,saying to myself, " do you realizewhere you're hunting"? When I hunt the Bow Zone, I'm literallyliving one of my dreams. I'm not married and have no kids, that'swhat makes this possiblefor me.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agreewith 3.5 year old crowd.

Early in, I hope 3rd trip is your charm and wish you the best of luck returning to the zone this november.

Finally made it out for a little recon on sunday evening and saw some deer. Not whitetails but a few mulies I was able to snap while being ate alive by bugs. Unfortunately the big deer I was hoping to find was a no show that night but in talking with the landowner he is still around...!

Quick Reply: 2008 Canadian Whitetails

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.