Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Question about numbers on scopes... >

Question about numbers on scopes...

Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Question about numbers on scopes...

Old 10-07-2008, 03:13 PM

Default Question about numbers on scopes...

Hey, I'm not much of a rifle hunter, so any optics help here would be great. We just bought some new land, and bowhunting it is gonna be tough, so I'm gonna go ahead and get a good scope put on my 30-06. My question is this. If a scope is 3-9-40, what's the 3?...9?...and 40? I'm assuming the 40 is the width of the opposite end of the scope, therefore I would need a higher ring mount to havea 50? Is there an advantage to a 50 over 40...etc? Is paying a ton for a scope gonna make that much difference if I'm not exactly a millionaire?
Old 10-07-2008, 04:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Question about numbers on scopes...

The 3x9 is the range of power the 40 is the mm diameter of the exit glass. Buying a scope with quality glass and coatings is the most important factor. What is your total scope budget (mounts & rings inc)?
Old 10-07-2008, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

So what does having a 40mm exit glass vs 50mm do in the same power scope?
Old 10-08-2008, 08:01 AM

I'm trying to keep it under $200. There seems to be some good ones on ebay right now, but I'm just reluctant to buy a scope when I don't even know what the description is telling me. They seem to all be 3-9 and either 40 or 50. As long as I stick to a good name brand, I should be alright? And will all rings fit on my Remington 30-06?
Old 10-08-2008, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Theoretically the 50mm will allow extra light into the scope to produce a better image. Does it really work that way in the real world, that's a matter to debate. Rings, depends on what type of bases you use. The cheapest would probably be Weaver style rings and bases, some like them, some do not. Scope for a total budget of around $200 that does kind of limit your options. I would suggest Nikon Prostaff, Bushnell Elite 3200, Nikon Buckmaster I have also heard some good reviews on the new Vortex scopes from Federal or ATK whatever name they're going by. Have not seen what they are priced at though yet.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:32 PM

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

So what does having a 40mm exit glass vs 50mm do in the same power scope?
I'll answer both of your questions together at one time.....

Comparing a 40 mm to a 50 mm

Typically , 2 identical scopes ( brands and quality ) ..... look through the one that is a 40 mm at 6 pm at a buck ..... you can see it pretty well at 7 X

Look at the same deer at the same time through an identical scope that is 50 mm and you can see the image the same at about 8 X ....

So the visual difference between identical scopes of 40 mm and 50 mm is 1 Power magnification.

The difference between 7 X and 8 X ......

Is that enough to make some folks buy a 50 ( even though they have to move up to " high " rings to mount it..... Yes, sometimes ......

Will most general hunters be able to tell the difference in the scopes ..... No.....

Will most general hunters benefit by spending the extra $$$ for a 50 mm ..... No.....

Does it take all types to make the world go round ....... Yes....

Are there some nice 50 mm scopes out there .... Yes ......

Are some 40 mm scopes clearer than some 50 mm scopes ....... Absolutely .....

Do you have to mortgage your house to buy the best glass ...... No .... most people will get all the optical quality out of mid levelprice range scopes( 250.00 - 350.00 ) that they will ever need... or be able to realize and differentiate .....

Do I own scopes that cost more than that ..... Yes, I do , by choice and because of the magnification range ...... not out of necessity and desire for the Best glass .....

And check out www.theopticzone.com .... A great place and good honest folks and some of the best prices on the net....

Hope this helps,

God Bless

MET