HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Question about numbers on scopes...
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2008, 03:32 PM
MichaelT.

Default RE: Question about numbers on scopes...

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

So what does having a 40mm exit glass vs 50mm do in the same power scope?
I'll answer both of your questions together at one time.....

Comparing a 40 mm to a 50 mm

Typically , 2 identical scopes ( brands and quality ) ..... look through the one that is a 40 mm at 6 pm at a buck ..... you can see it pretty well at 7 X

Look at the same deer at the same time through an identical scope that is 50 mm and you can see the image the same at about 8 X ....

So the visual difference between identical scopes of 40 mm and 50 mm is 1 Power magnification.

The difference between 7 X and 8 X ......

Is that enough to make some folks buy a 50 ( even though they have to move up to " high " rings to mount it..... Yes, sometimes ......

Will most general hunters be able to tell the difference in the scopes ..... No.....

Will most general hunters benefit by spending the extra $$$ for a 50 mm ..... No.....

Does it take all types to make the world go round ....... Yes....

Are there some nice 50 mm scopes out there .... Yes ......

Are some 40 mm scopes clearer than some 50 mm scopes ....... Absolutely .....

Do you have to mortgage your house to buy the best glass ...... No .... most people will get all the optical quality out of mid levelprice range scopes( 250.00 - 350.00 ) that they will ever need... or be able to realize and differentiate .....

Do I own scopes that cost more than that ..... Yes, I do , by choice and because of the magnification range ...... not out of necessity and desire for the Best glass .....

And check out www.theopticzone.com .... A great place and good honest folks and some of the best prices on the net....

Hope this helps,

God Bless

MET