Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

burris

Old 05-30-2008, 07:31 PM
Spike

Default burris

Now that I have this in the right forum, I'll try again. Has anyone any knowledge, good or bad about this sight? I am looking for input between this sight anda holosight for my turkey gun. Thanks in advance.
Rick
Old 05-30-2008, 08:25 PM

Default RE: burris

I am not that big a fan of the Holosight/Eotech type sights. Too busy a reticle and the housingreminds me ofwearing black plastic frame glasses from the 70's.
They are very durable though.

For the big sights like that, I like the C-More as it is less intrusive into the line of sight. I also like the single dot. I have used them on competition pistols and
rifles for years and no problems.

I am not sure which Burris you are wanting info on. The Speedot is basically a ProPoint/Aimpoint tube dot sight. Works fine although it too has more frame around
the dot than I care for. The new small Burris, like the original Optima, and later versions by Trijicon and Doctor, is a compact and fast dot. I have one of the original
Optimas that was the worst of the breed and it has worked flawlessly for several years. It has been mounted on a Glock 17 slide, FAL 308, and an AR15 and never had
a problem. They are a little more difficult to sight in due to their lack of click adjustment, but once sighted in, they seem to stay put.

Although due to their mass, I like the Holosight and Aimpoint the least, these two are the most rugged and durable of the bunch. So if you are extremely hard on your
guns and optics, one of these would probably be the best choice for you, although the most expensive. If you are not one to bash your guns and optics into rocks and trees,
the C-More or small Burris/Trijicon/Doctor sights would work just fine. The C-More railway and Burris would also be the least expensive of the group.

Craig
Old 05-31-2008, 02:47 PM
Spike

I don't know how to insert links, but it is the red dot reflex sight. I have heard good thing about the durability, but don't know anyone that has one to compare it to other reflex sights. It is model #410230
Rick
Old 06-01-2008, 08:03 PM

OK, that is the FastFire that is similar to the old Optima and the newer Trijicon and Doctor sights. Pluses with the Burris is that the frame is metal instead of plastic and the lens is glass instead of plastic. Adds a tad more weight but a lot more durability. And it won't have the problem with gun solvents etching the lens. I found that out the hard way.

I would put it on a shotgun before an Eotech, just because of the mass and clutter. Burris makes good stuff and not as pricey as an Eotech. Plus it could go on another gun at some other time more easily than the Eotech.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:44 PM
Fork Horn

I just ordered the fastfire and will be mounting it on myKimber 10mm. I'll have to let you know how I like it and if you get it let me know what you think as well.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:58 PM
Spike

Thanks spd522 & Palladin8 I am thinking of putting it on a 3" Rem 870 turkey gun. I have a 3" Rem 1100 that is my main turkey slayer. I have a Bushnell holosight on that gun. Last season, right in the middle of the season,it quit. It was 4 yrs old and out of warrenty, but Bushnell took care of it. They replaced it even thoughthewarrenty hadelapsed. I was looking for a reflex type of sight to go on my "back-up" gun. The fast fire was a little cheaper, and a little smaller, but I hadn't hadany experience with this particular sight. I think it couldhold up to the recoil,1000 g's according to theirliterature. I am hard on my turkey guns so durability would definetly have to be an issue.
Thanks for the help.
Rick