Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Please Help? - TC Omega/Nikon Omega, Base/Rings >

Please Help? - TC Omega/Nikon Omega, Base/Rings

Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Please Help? - TC Omega/Nikon Omega, Base/Rings

Old 06-06-2008, 11:11 AM
Spike

Default Please Help? - TC Omega/Nikon Omega, Base/Rings

First off I want to say thanks to everyone for your input with scopes and rings in general. As I have mentioned earlier I have a TC Omega and recently recieved my Nikon Omega scope. I can only say without shooting, that I really like this scope thus far. Being a newbie to scopes (bases and rings) I am confused with what I should get for my setup. I am still interested in getting a Quick Release setup for cleaning ease and saving space in my gun safe. I will need 1" diameter rings and after hearing from you all it looks like I need medium rings. Now for the part I'm struggling with. If I go with quick release do I need just the quick release rings and solid base or both quick release rings and quick release base? Those of you thathavea quick release is it just the rings or is it the base also?Should I get a one piece base or two piece base? I understand the need for a two piece base, but I believe my muzzleloader should except either. I have also seen extension rings, I'm not exactly surewhat these are for or if I need them? And lastly brand, I know this is probably like Ford vs. Chevy. I just don't know what's best. I am looking atLeupold and Warne. If you guys could fill me in on some of this I wouldgreatly appreciate it. If you have specific part numbers that would be great. If I can see what I need that my help.

Thanks
Old 06-07-2008, 02:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Please Help? - TC Omega/Nikon Omega, Base/Rings

I prefer the Warne over the Leupold. The Warne base is longer, and has more adjustment. Also with the Leupold the rings need to be lapped. Lapping is not necessary with the Warne. Tom.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:20 AM
Spike

I can see where the Warne base is longer than the other bases that you have shown. Is that what they call a Warne Maxima One-piece base? The more I see and read the more I am leaning toward Warne. How do you like the Warne Quick Detach Rings?
Old 06-07-2008, 06:31 AM

If you decide to go with Leupold Quick Release rings then you will also need a Leupold QR base because the Weaver style is not available for the TC Omega.

For rings you are looking at Leupold QR medium matte rings LEU49974
For a QR base on a Encore/Omega you will need the one piece LEU52325

You could also opt for the QR extension rings which extend the distance between the rings by 5/8 of an inch. That is probably uneccesary with your rifle and scope.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:00 AM
Spike

Sorry Tom, I'm not sure what you mean by the rings would need to be lapped with the Leupold Rings?
Old 06-07-2008, 08:03 AM
Spike

spikebuck77

Is the Leupold QR base for Omegaa one piece or two piece base? I did a search on the part# you provided but it shows a general picture with a two piece base and a one piece base. If you could clarify this I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:19 PM
Typical Buck

i installed the LEUPOLD base #54798 and the medium rings[duel dove tail]# 49916 ,on my T/C encore which takes the same base and rings as ur OMEGA ..no lapping requiredon my installation .i used myDigimatic caliberand measured base to rings than from ring to ring .
ps. my T/C ENCORE is stainless so i installed the 54798 silver base...but the 49916 rings are black matte..

here is a link for bases and rings for ur T/C OMEGA ..

http://www.precisionscopes.com/mounts_by_firearm
Old 06-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Leupold QR rings are good rings, but they are overpriced IMO. However I personally do not lilke the idea of taking a scope on and off a rifle. It can be done, it is just not for me. I have used all types of take off rings over the years. The scope will return very close to zero. but I would always check my zero. So why pay the extra money??

Lapping the rings means that you are "Polishing" the rings into proper alignment. It is virtually impossible to align the Leupold rings. So you must hand lap the rings to allow the scope to lay in the rings properly, without torquing.

There is no way I would put a good rifle scope into a set of Leupold rings that were not lapped. But then I have seen people in the past turn their rings into the base while using their scope as a lever. So I guess it takes all kinds.

Any time you can get your rings farther apart it is a good thing.

Also you should be able to use the Leupold QR rings on the Warne base. They are all basically a Weaver(Picatinney) style. Tom.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:40 PM
Typical Buck

HEAD0001you are right about lapping the bottom of the rings ,it makes for a much better fit ..no twisting on the scope tube..i used myDigimatic caliberand did it by mesuring from ring to ring once the rings were twisted into the slot..ps. i did not use the scope to twist the rings into they're place ,i used a wooden dowel ...
Old 06-08-2008, 08:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Talley's, though I've used leupold's quite a bit too.