Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Scope for Remington Model 7 >

Scope for Remington Model 7

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Scope for Remington Model 7

Old 05-21-2008, 04:56 PM

Default Scope for Remington Model 7

I inherited a Remington Model 7 in the 7mm08...I will be deer hunting with it, mostly in brushy and thick areas (I doubt I'll take a shot over 75 yards max most of the time--probably less).

What are some scope recommendations for this gun (x size, brands, etc). I'm hoping to stay in the $100 range.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Scope for Remington Model 7

I'd say something like a 3-9. You could get a 2-7, though with a 7mm-08 you could shoot quite far, if you ever go west and think you might shoot far.....I'd much prefer 9x at 400yds than 7x

I think nikon makes a 2.5-10, best of both worlds? I tend to like leupolds over nikons though, they have a 3.5-10and a3-9.

Guys seem to love 50mm glass, i have 2 of them, but I love how my 4.5-14x40 looks on my .270, sure the 50mm gather more light, but my 40mm seems to do fine.

I'd say get something close to 3-9x40mm that nikon monarch gold? 2.5-10x maybe 44mm? might be perfect for you? otherwise a leupold vxII or III.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:49 PM

Thanks for the input, salukipv1. A 3x9 seems to be a standard size...I guess I'm wondering what kind of difference I'd notice in those tight and close situations with a 3x as opposed to a 2x or even a 1.5?

At this time, I don't foresee myself going out west (but who knows?) I probably won't venture off my dad's small piece of property much in Michigan.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

at 75yds, 1.5, 2, or 3x wouldn't matter to me.....but at 15ft.....it would....

I actually put a 3-12 on my .338 i wanted 10+ mag on the high end and ideally like 2x down low, but 3-12 was all i could find and most were 4-12 etc...or 4.5-14

So I chose 3x which i wanted 12 or 14x up top, so i went from 4 or 4.5 down to 3x, look at FOV if that matters to you, for the lower setting, which will be the larger of the 2 numbers, ie more feild of view on low power....

Up real close ya I think 2x would be perfect, but 3x isn't much more, but 4.5 is getting up there say.

Nikon monarch, or monarch gold makes a 2.5-10, though I'm not crazy about nikon riflescopes, like their rangefinders though. But that would be the best of both worlds? If the monarch gold is the most you were planning to spend, I'd go with something like that then. But if it's cheaper than what you planned to, I'd keep looking probably.

I think leupold makes a 2.5-8, everyone has a 3-9, or 3.5-10 those seem like your main options, though 2.5-10 covers all of that.

I think to many "Out West" means big money on a big game hunt like elk.....

though I think ust about anyone can draw a good antelope tag out west after 3-4years and public land DIY for a trophy antelope, and that would be "out west" cheap DIY. Once you do it once you'll probably be hooked.

Get online and checkout every scope maker you can think of, going to Cabelas website can help you compare lots of scopes/features pretty easily, without having to go to everyones website etc....or just open multiple webpages and go to everyones website.....on cabelas you can probably just type rifle scopes and under 500 bucks....and see what pops up.

That 2.5-10 sounds like a great option....but any 2.5-8, 3-9, 3.5-10 would be ideal I think. Since you talked under 75yds I'd look to the 2.5-10, or 2.5-8.

Hell get a new swarovski Z6 2-12x!!! I think they make a 1.7-10...
Old 05-21-2008, 08:35 PM
Typical Buck

Depending on what you want to spend I would think that the standard 3x9 will work just fine. Most of the deer I have shot were under 100 yds, usually with scope on 4-5 power. Now if you want to spend $700+ on a scope, than there are some other options out there. I think for your application a standard 3x9 or something similar would just fine. I do agree with salukipv1 that you wont be disappointed with a Leupold, at least a vx ii or better.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

For those "most of the time" close shots why not consider a fixed 4X. The Leuppy FXII in 4 X ain't half bad.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

My almost 45 years deer hunting expereince, much of it in areas as you have mentioned where shots are very, very seldom past 100 yards, has taught me that optics that perform well in very low light, that are clear, crisp and rugged are worth the extra $$$. But I definitely have been where you seem to be now ... on a shoe string budget. Here's what I'd do. It is what ? .... 5-6 months now before most fall hunting seasons open ? Figure out a way to squirrel$1.00 a day. Skipsodas. Drink water. Go on a diet and skip the candy bars and chips. Drink 3 less beers a week.... quit smoking ... any thing that works !! By September you'll have almost $200 more.That'll put you around $300 to spend and now you are into some decent scopes. But if that is not a possibility, try a Bushnell "Trophy" 1.5x6-42mm with an illuminated reticule.I think you can get this at places like Bear Basin Outfitters for well under $200. Or if you have a good gun shop close, check their scope take-off trade ins. Might find a deal there. I recently bought a like new, 2008 top of the line Nikon Monarch 3x9-40mm take off for $100 at the shop that I frequent. I may get some flak on this but ... stay away from Tasco or BSA. Simply put I do not like the quality of their products at all.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

For the $, the Nikon Buckmasters are decent scopes.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:31 PM
Spike

As far was optics goes you got all good brand advices. I just want you to take a look at Remington mode seven itself first - it is a smaller frame stock with short action catridge design. Most scopes that were advised would be to long for your rifle as they are designed with long action in mind, unless you want to remove iron sights (I suspect you got them and wnat to keep them... you still might be not too happy with scope mounting due to balance )
I have model seven in 7mm SAUM and bought Nikon buckmaster first time, tried Bushnell banner as well... I had to return them shortly,They were to long and they did not give good eye release distance. You probably do not want to by a scope longer than 11.6-12in. I found a good article on the web from the guy who played with his Model Seven and got a good functional set up. He recomended Warne rings and bases (they make a set specialy for Model Seven) and Burris Short action Scope, Bushnell also makea one Elite 3200 short action scope 2.5-10x40 (11.4 in) That a one I put on mine (I payed $200) If you have a one of big Outdoor retailes aboud take your gun there and ask them to help fit it with right scope. You will see what I am talking about. Good luck. Model seven is a good gun.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sell the Model 7 and buy a cheap gun and then get a good scope for it

Quick Reply: Scope for Remington Model 7

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.