HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Scope for Remington Model 7
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scope for Remington Model 7

My almost 45 years deer hunting expereince, much of it in areas as you have mentioned where shots are very, very seldom past 100 yards, has taught me that optics that perform well in very low light, that are clear, crisp and rugged are worth the extra $$$. But I definitely have been where you seem to be now ... on a shoe string budget. Here's what I'd do. It is what ? .... 5-6 months now before most fall hunting seasons open ? Figure out a way to squirrel$1.00 a day. Skipsodas. Drink water. Go on a diet and skip the candy bars and chips. Drink 3 less beers a week.... quit smoking ... any thing that works !! By September you'll have almost $200 more.That'll put you around $300 to spend and now you are into some decent scopes. But if that is not a possibility, try a Bushnell "Trophy" 1.5x6-42mm with an illuminated reticule.I think you can get this at places like Bear Basin Outfitters for well under $200. Or if you have a good gun shop close, check their scope take-off trade ins. Might find a deal there. I recently bought a like new, 2008 top of the line Nikon Monarch 3x9-40mm take off for $100 at the shop that I frequent. I may get some flak on this but ... stay away from Tasco or BSA. Simply put I do not like the quality of their products at all.