Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Experts Choose Best 10x42 Optic!! >

Experts Choose Best 10x42 Optic!!

Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Experts Choose Best 10x42 Optic!!

Old 03-30-2008, 04:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default Experts Choose Best 10x42 Optic!!

There's always much talk about which Optic is ones best puchase? This is a review that can be respected! This should help narrow down ones thoughts on which ones to consider as much of the leg work has been taken out for us!

America’s leading outdoor magazine, Field & Stream, Awards the Viper 10x42, binocular as the “Best of the Best” in the optics category.

Middleton, WI – August 14, 2007 - Each year for the past decade, Field & Stream magazine distinguishes the best outdoor equipment in their annual Gear of the Year Issue. This year, a test crew comprised of expert hunters, ranchers and outdoor outfitters recognized the Vortex Viper 10x42 as the “Best of the Best” - the number one binocular over all others. The Field & Stream test crew critically evaluated every aspect of optical quality, ergonomics and durability. They carefully examined engineering and workmanship, subjecting binoculars to strenuous and demanding trials including an overnight stay in a minus-10-degree freezer and submersing them for one minute underwater to test for internal fogging and waterproofing. As a result of its superior quality, design and optical performance the Vortex Viper 10x42 beat out the rest of the competition.

Based in Middleton Wisconsin, Vortex Optics has been designing and manufacturing its own line of optics since the late 1990’s. The award winning Vortex Viper 10x42 exemplifies the company’s commitment to excellence and innovation. Commenting on this tradition and recognition, Dan Hamilton, Vortex President/CEO said, “It was an exciting day to announce to our staff the winning of this prestigious award. Our goal has always been to listen to our customers and professionals in the field to design and refine our products based on real life experiences. We would like to thank Field & Stream for their efforts in rigorous testing, objectivity and recognition of the Viper's excellence."

The Vortex Viper 10x42 features an advanced roof prism design that incorporates phase-corrected, high-density BaK-4 roof prisms and Xtra-low dispersion (XD) glass. Additionally, the Viper employs proprietary XR multi-layer anti-reflective coatings to deliver superior resolution and light transmittance. The result is remarkable image definition and impressive low-light performance. The Viper is built with a tough rugged chassis, incorporating durable alloy housings which are covered in shock-absorbing rubber armor. The Viper, like all Vortex binoculars and scopes, is protected by the best warranty in the industry, unconditional and unlimited. For the best prices www.elknut.com 208-634-5606

ElkNut1

Old 03-31-2008, 12:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Experts Choose Best 10x42 Optic!!

Dollar spent value it might be. The Best 10x42 not even close
Old 03-31-2008, 04:58 PM
Typical Buck

Yes, you are correct, the test was for mid-range Optics that the blue collar worker could afford, which happens to be the vast majority of hunters! Their prices varied depending on where you purchased them, 350.00-1000.00 The Vipers are a 500.00 set.
Now the Razors on the other hand will rival any Optics out there for the hunter. I'm sure if one were to stretch it he could find some bulky unreal military stuff that would exceed ones expectations & costs not to mention wt. The fact the Vortex Vipers won basicly is showing hunters they can trust the line of quality not only in the vipers but the entire line!
I've read the whole report, there were none excluded from this, it included every one imaginable including Brunton, Nikon, Leupold, Burris, Bushnell, etc.

For the record though, I did compare the Vipers 10x42 against the Swarovski EL & the Leicas finest. It lacked in the brightness & the clarity by a little & I mean a very little, it took going from one to the other many times before it was noticed at all, they're that close, but the price is a 1500.00 difference, so one would expect that!! The Razors are a step up, as well as in price & compete with them with no problem!

ElkNut1

Old 03-31-2008, 06:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

It lacked in the brightness & the clarity by a little & I mean a very little, it took going from one to the other many times before it was noticed at all, they're that close, but the price is a 1500.00 difference, so one would expect that!! The Razors are a step up, as well as in price & compete with them with no problem
!

Once you hit a pricepoint usually around 500it is diminishing rate of return when it comes to optics. We are also dealing with a declining dollar which makes the once 800-1000 leicas and swaros now 1500-1800 or more.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

It lacked in the brightness & the clarity by a little & I mean a very little, it took going from one to the other many times before it was noticed at all, they're that close, but the price is a 1500.00 difference, so one would expect that!! The Razors are a step up, as well as in price & compete with them with no problem
!

Once you hit a pricepoint usually around 500it is diminishing rate of return when it comes to optics. We are also dealing with a declining dollar which makes the once 800-1000 leicas and swaros now 1500-1800 or more.

I am not so sure about the diminishing returns. I have a set of 8X56 Swarovski binoculars. They really are the berries. I have owned good glass before, but nothing like these.

The massive price increases are due to the weak dollar. It use to be the dollar was worth more than the Euro-now the Euro is worth more. Almost to the point that world markets are now wanting to be paid in Euro's instead of dollar's. Tom.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am more or less echoing comments already made. The "break" in higher quality binoculars comes at around $500. There are some really good ones in that price range, but they will pale when set along side the top end products such as Swarovski, Zeiss, Leica, etc. The Nikon "Venturer" series is also an excellent line. I had no idea of the difference an extra $500 can make until hunting in the wide open west several years ago where one can spend hours and hours glassing. And the failure to pick out a white "deer butt" or "antler" from the surrounding rocks and brush can mean the difference between a good days hun and a lost days hunt. My $300 binos were simply no match when it came to crispness and long range detail, and very low light glassing.

the top end stuff are in the $1000 + range. But in my humble opinion, there is no substitute for quality when it comes to glass, so buy the best your wallet can stand !!!