Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Question for Optic Experts... >

Question for Optic Experts...

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Question for Optic Experts...

Old 06-27-2007, 03:49 PM

Default Question for Optic Experts...

I acquired for freea pair of Jason (That's the brand's nameI guess)10 X 50 binoculars. They are probably a little dated compared to what isout now, but arein great shape, and seem to function ok. My question is, will these be adequate binos to use stalking game out West? They work good, but Ireally don'thave anythingto compare them to, and that's why I ask.

Thanks,
SH
Old 06-27-2007, 06:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Question for Optic Experts...

No expert here, but I'll chime-in anyway!

Why don't you take them to the store, & check 'em out side by side with whatever they sell there. Check those $300 Nikons, & some $500 models of whatever brands they've got, & see how yours measure-up. That'll give you the most important baseline: what your eyes think.

So, what're hunting out west?

FC
Old 06-27-2007, 08:47 PM

I'm moving to Phoenix next month, so I'll be out there going after Coues and whatever else I can get OTC tags for. I really want to stalk bear, but I read only about 300 bear were taken in AZ last year with a bow, so that might be a decade long challenge. Either way, it will be a fun change of scenery.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

i'm not an expert either but i believe....since your not talking about something you will be looking threw when pulling a trigger, use what you got. if you can see threw them and they are working don't waste your money on an expensive pair. IMO binoc's aren't that impportant. as long as they function who cares, i use a $50 pair when i scout and hunt. save your money for a quality scope.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:04 AM
Typical Buck

It really depends on the type of hunting and terrain. Some places out west require that you "glass" for hours on end an at distances most people in the east and south couldn't dream of. Using lesser quality binocs in this environment is a sure recipe for severe eye strain and a killer headache. Try them. If they work, great, if not save up the money for a quality pair.

As for the thinking that binocs aren't that important because you don't look through them when you squeeze the trigger, this is true at short distances but not when you will be looking through the binocs for multiple hours at ranges up to 1000+ yards. At these distances, you won't have a chance to bag the trophy because you won't be able to find him with lesser quality binocs.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:03 PM

I'm not the biggest expert, but i've been hunting in the west and personally i think you will need better binos. Best thing to do in this situation is probably take them to local hunting shop, and many see what and expert things and compare them up to some good brands. Like someone else said if short distance shots you might be ok, if long i think you will need to invest into a new pair of binoculars.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:44 AM
bigcountry

You knwo the only way you are going to find out is to try them for long extended periods of time. If you have trouble veiwing animals at 1000 yards or they are blurry or you come home with a bad headache, upgrade.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:39 PM

ORIGINAL: Steelhead31

I acquired for freea pair of Jason (That's the brand's nameI guess)10 X 50 binoculars. They are probably a little dated compared to what isout now, but arein great shape, and seem to function ok. My question is, will these be adequate binos to use stalking game out West? They work good, but Ireally don'thave anythingto compare them to, and that's why I ask.

Thanks,
SH
Go to a hunting shop and check other brands and compare them up. I think the Jason brand are generic binoculars, my bud had a pair.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:27 AM

As someone who works in the optics industry, all I can say is that spend as much money on your binocular as you can afford. If you can't afford good quality optics right now, then save up and buy something better when you CAN afford it.

I live and hunt in the west, and good quality optics are your most important tools. A good quality binocular and spotting scope, along with a good scope will make for a much more enjoyable and successful hunt. You'll be spending the vast majority of your time sitting and glassing. The last thing you need is a binocular or scope that will give you a migrane. Your binocular is your #1 priority. Coues deer hunting is extremely optics intensive. If your using a 10x40 type bino, then you'll absolutely need a spotting scope. Don't forget, a close coues deer shot is250 - 300yards!

As far as "Jason Optics" goes, well I've never come across them. If you have any more detailed questions regarding optics, please just let me know.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:12 PM

ORIGINAL: MTGriz

As someone who works in the optics industry, all I can say is that spend as much money on your binocular as you can afford. If you can't afford good quality optics right now, then save up and buy something better when you CAN afford it.

I live and hunt in the west, and good quality optics are your most important tools. A good quality binocular and spotting scope, along with a good scope will make for a much more enjoyable and successful hunt. You'll be spending the vast majority of your time sitting and glassing. The last thing you need is a binocular or scope that will give you a migrane. Your binocular is your #1 priority. Coues deer hunting is extremely optics intensive. If your using a 10x40 type bino, then you'll absolutely need a spotting scope. Don't forget, a close coues deer shot is250 - 300yards!

As far as "Jason Optics" goes, well I've never come across them. If you have any more detailed questions regarding optics, please just let me know.
I gotta agree, this is some good advice everyone should take regarding optics.