Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Boresighter? >

Boresighter?

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Boresighter?

Old 12-17-2007, 04:38 PM

Default RE: Boresighter?

I bought a $40 universal boresighter at Walmart this year. I used it for a scope on a .223 and also a.50 MLer. My first shot from both were about 3-4" high and within 2" left to right at 100 yards. I did not use the supplied paper "target" to adjust. I adjusted mine at night. Aimed it at an object about 100 yards away and just dialed the scope so the crosshairs hit the red laser dot. Could not be easier. Took <5 minutes the second time I did it. I was pretty sceptical when I bought it, but I am now a believer.

As has been said before, if someone does not actually do the final adjusting by shooting ammo.........well, shame on them. Just because some people misuse them, doesn't mean they are worthless for what they are intended.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:22 AM
Fork Horn

I picked up a BSA boresighter from Natchezss.comfor $19.99,and it's paid for itself already.

Don't listen to nay-sayers, they are worth the money.
I use mine for rechecking zero. As far as wiggling, I wrapped the spud with electrical tape and it's snug.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

i agree with others, save your money. if you have a bolt action bore sight it with your eye's. bore sighters have never impressed me. the last 2 rifles i bought were "professionally" bore sighted by 2 different gun shops and neither one was even close. i wasn't even on paper, it took a box of shells to get them on paper. i've never had a scope out of the box as far off as the 2 rifles i had "bore sighted".
Old 12-19-2007, 12:07 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: 4patches

your wasting your money, set youself up a 25 yard target ,put three on the paper and adjust your crosshairs in the center of that group.
You're assuming everyone has a range to use at moments notice and the time to go.
The place Ishoot is an hour away,and I can only get out onselect weekends to hunt/shoot.

When I was sighting in my muzzleloader, I had a misfire and I was uncertain what the problem was.
The breech plug was frozen and required a vise to remove, thus ending my day.

With the boresighter I was able to check things out between a couple shots, and determine a baseline, especially before makingcrosshair adjustments.

This all happened a week before opening day of gun, and it rained on Sunday...I would have been screwed big time w/o the boresighter.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:31 PM
Fork Horn

In the past, Ihaveremoving the breech plug to sight my scopes, itgets you "somewhere in the neighborhood".

With a boresighter, you're true with barrel at an imaginary 100 yards.
Yes, you still have to shoot, but it does cut the time in half,not to mention half the ammo spent.

Sideways is shooting a muzzleloader, with lead, powder, and caps, he'sspendingaround $2.00 per shot.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: beast44k

ORIGINAL: 4patches

your wasting your money, set youself up a 25 yard target ,put three on the paper and adjust your crosshairs in the center of that group.
You're assuming everyone has a range to use at moments notice and the time to go.
The place Ishoot is an hour away,and I can only get out onselect weekends to hunt/shoot.
I agree... I have a WMA with a range 45 minutes from my house. I have tried to go there many times on a weekend, only to find the parking lot packed beyond capacity, and there is even aline of other rifle shooters waiting their turn! [&:]

There is always a running joke around town too. "Wanna go to _______ WMA and do some target shooting? Pffft... yeah right... pack alunch!!"

A bore sighter can be a handy tool to use to double check your zero. But I agree with others, you have to get your rifle sighted on paper at 100 yards. A bore sighter will get you "on paper", but it won't get you in the 10 ring right from the start.