Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Anyone own a boresighter >

Anyone own a boresighter

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Anyone own a boresighter

Old 10-14-2002, 02:47 PM
bigcountry

Default Anyone own a boresighter

I have never been a huge fan of them. But I am thinking about picking up one, maybe the Bushnell Banner series. After my last moose hunt and my scope was knocked off severely, I was thinking if I take a nasty spill in the woods, I could just throw the boresighter on to check zero. My question is how repeatable are they?

So if I zero in my gun at the range with ammo, and then remember the position on the collimator, if I take that thing on and off a few times, should I get the same position on the boresighter? How much will it deviate? One MOA, two , etc? Will the deviation be more elevation or windage?

Does anyone recommend one?

Old 10-14-2002, 04:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Anyone own a boresighter

I find that repeatability with my bushnell unit is within an inch or two at 100 yards if you install and remove the unit a few times.Both windage and elevation do vary slightly.

Edited by - stubblejumper on 10/14/2002 19:06:30
Old 10-14-2002, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

How can you be sure that your inserting the unit the same way every time, consider a laser bore sighter. It'll cost more but I think it's more accurate. Bore sight the gun, then zero on the range. Then reinsert the unit and make a note where the reticle lines up in relation to the laser.
Old 10-14-2002, 09:05 PM

bigcountry
I read your post on the Hunting board. Very unfortunate turn of events. I can't imagine how disappointed you must have been. I responded to that post and without going into all the details here again, I was wondering if you packed your rifle in a hard case or a soft case?

As for the bore sighter. I've had a Bushnell Banner 74-3333 for quite some time and am quite happy with it and would totally rely on it being within a couple of inches of zero. Certainly more than required for a quick check to varify the scope has not been knocked off zero as happened in your case. Because of your experience I will from now on be packing my bore sighter on our fly-in moose hunts.

When you first set up the bushnell banner it should put you on the paper. Then after you have zeroed your scope reinstall the boresighter to see how the scope reticles actually line up with the grid in the bore sighter. The grid will be off a bit probably both windage & elevation. You can then adjust the grid by removing the bore sighter lense cap and using the 4 small scews to re-position the centre of the grid exactly on the cross hairs of your scope (which is zeroed). From then on you can almost exactly zero your scope using the bore sighter.

"I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it."
Old 10-15-2002, 05:20 AM
bigcountry

Thanks guys, good info. I am not sure what the differences are between the banner series and the others. One is around 50 dollars and other 80. But it sounds like a decent investment.

Old 10-15-2002, 05:23 AM
bigcountry

Also, thunderchicken, I know people with the lasers. They don't seem that pleased with the accuracy. It defiately not as repeatable it seems as 6 MOA of zero. I think it depends on the chamber slop and if your case has been fireformed. I think I will take stubble's advise if he can get repeatability of 1 or 2" at 100 yards.

Old 10-15-2002, 07:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have an old bushnell collimator which works pretty well but I am going to look at the new Leupold magnetic unit and maybe consider taking one on hunts.
Old 10-15-2002, 07:53 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-15-2002, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

BC, the one I have was purchased from Cabelas. It comes with several adjustable arbors and is inserted into the muzzle, not from the chamber. It cost about $60 if I remember correct.
Old 10-15-2002, 09:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Why not drop the bolt and line the barrel dead on @ 25 then adjusting the cross hairs to match, works the same as arbour boresighters. I also haven't had much luck with gun shops and a boresighter, so my views is a little tainted.

Quick Reply: Anyone own a boresighter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.