Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Boresighter

Old 12-04-2004, 07:23 PM

Default Boresighter

What boresighter would you reccomend. And how close do they usaually get you. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Boresighter

I have two broesighters. A Trashco Shot Saver and a BSA. Truthfully they aren't worth the money.They might get you on the paper but that's about it.Example I boresighted a rifle. When I got to the range I went right to 100 yards.This was approx a 2.5'sq cardboard with the target stapled to it.I barely hit the top left of the cardboard.I brought it to the 50 yard mark. After several shots I tuned it in.I would not buy another boresighter.Set your taget up at 25 or 50 yards and move it from there.What you save on the boresighter will buy you a couple boxes of ammo.Others might disagree but that is my Honest Opinion.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 12-04-2004, 07:43 PM

The simple BSA optical type boresighters are my recommendation. I generally get on paper at 100 yds with mine. I've tried the laser boresighters but found them troublesome to use (25' distance, hard to see in daylight) and no more accurate as the easy to use BSA.

Boresighters aren't intended to get you ready to hunt. They are intended to get you close enough to allow you to zero in at the range. Some people prefer to use the remove the bolt system and look down the bore. This works for a lot of people but I don't like that system. The optical boresighters are so easy to use.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you have a bolt this is what I do, drop the bolt then take one of those bright orange circles put it on a target or piece of cardboard and set it at 25yards. I then use a gun vise and line up my bore to centre the hole, then make my crosshairs match the dot and done. It can be done off sandbags,etc at the range on 25 or 100 yard markers. It is much easier to have a spare set of hands available to turn the adjustment knobs while you look through the scope and hold it steady, without a vise or similar to clamp the rifle down.

If your doing pumps, semi's, closed breeched Ml's than this tech will not work. I have used the Bushnell Trophy Boresighter before and it worked pretty well.