Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Boresighter? >

Boresighter?

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Boresighter?

Old 12-09-2007, 12:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default Boresighter?

I am looking at buying a boresighter.
I need one that will work on different calibers.

When boresighting a variable scope, do you use the lowest, mid level or highestpower when boresighting?

thanks
Old 12-09-2007, 01:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Boresighter?

I have a BSA bore sighter that has all the different arbors for each caliber. It's okay but not the greatest out there. Normally, you crank the scope up to the max power when using the bore sighter, so you can clearly see the grid chart and make proper alignment.

My BSA bore sighter wiggles a little bit when trying to bore sight. It's a pain in the a.$.$. to use and I sometimes will ask my wife to help steady the rifle and/or bore sighter with me, so I can check it.

The laser type bore sighters are supposed to be pretty neat, but I don't know how accurate they truely are. The arbor type grid chart bore sighters are the best to use though.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:19 PM

I don't think I would stick anything into my muzzle. You stand the chanceof damaging thebore.If you need to check zero,put rounds down range. If you are mounting a scope, put the gun on sand bags and look through the bore and adjust the scope to get you on paper. Then put rounds down range!!

I don't know about laser boresighters but I think they are all just a gimick.

You didn't state why you needed one but I think you would be better off spending the money on ammo, to put down range.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:08 PM
Fork Horn

Check out the newer magnetic one from Leupold. They sell for about 70.00 in Cabelas, they do more than just a standard boresighter. It can check your scope for alignment if you feel you've bumped it.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Typical Buck

TC, the LEUPOLD ZERO POINT is the boresighter I have been considering.
It appears to be easy to use and can be used in the field for quick confirmation that the scope has not moved, if it did move you can zero it back in using predetermined notes.

Ripstop, I like taking my scopes off my guns when cleaning (using quick release mounts) and have it in the back of my mind the scope has been moved.
Shooting means recleaning, especially black powder.
Thanks for the feedback.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

your wasting your money, set youself up a 25 yard target ,put three on the paper and adjust your crosshairs in the center of that group. then move your target accordingly for whatever yardage zero you want probably 100. now you can do this for the price of 6 shells and 2 targets. bore sighting wont help you with point of impact with watever round you shoot.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:33 PM
Fork Horn

I think you should save your money and learn to boresight your rifles without a boresighter. It is NOT hard to do WITHOUT a boresighter.

I personally believe boresighters are one of the biggest wastes of time and money. In fact, I venture to say boresighters cause hundreds, maybe thousands of deer to be lost every year from people who rely on them.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:13 AM

I ordered one a couple years ago when I was deployed to Kosovo. I called Midway and told them what I wanted. Somebody mentioned that they would not put anything in their muzzle. This has a piece that goes in the chamber area that provides the laser light, and a piece that goes in the muzzle. It is a universal kit that will fit everthing from .22 up to I think .450 ro somehting like that. larger than I will ever need. Anyhow, the piece that goes in the muzzle is slighlt smaller than your barrel. It is plastic, and has o Rings for each caliber to snug it up so you don't scratch your barrel. It works well. I have used in on every rifle that I own.
Sure, you can just go out and put lead down range, or you can get right on paper at 100 and save some rounds for real shooting. In my case. Bullets for my .338 are just under $100 a box. It makes sense sometimes.
Wish I could remember what brand it is, but if you look at the midway webpage, I am sure you can find it. It was less than $100. It works, well, or at least it did for me.

Good luck to you

Old 12-17-2007, 10:37 AM

Totally useless.... i think it has its place. It is not any good outside 25 yrds anyways. A boresighter will put you on paper right away at 25 yrds if you are mounting a scope. Everything people are saying here is right. You can easily scope it in yourself. Using a one shot sight technic is the fasted, just as 4patches has said and how i posted in a bit more depth on a previous post of "sighting in".
Old 12-17-2007, 02:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think you should save your money and learn to boresight your rifles without a boresighter. It is NOT hard to do WITHOUT a boresighter.

I personally believe boresighters are one of the biggest wastes of time and money. In fact, I venture to say boresighters cause hundreds, maybe thousands of deer to be lost every year from people who rely on them.
What happens if you don't hit paper and your mounts came drilled wrong from the factory ? Let's say you go to the range by yourself and no one can spot where your hits are going? Boresighter properly done will put you on paper everytime. If someone depended on a boresighter to make their gun exactly on the money and ready for huntingthey are a very bigfool . It's purpose is to save ammo. I have both laser and reglular boresighter and I'll take the regular one any day of the week. I have tried the remove the bolt and look down the bore method and it only may put you on paper and probably less then a boresighter. WHat happens if you have a pump,auto ..how do you look down the bore?

Quick Reply: Boresighter?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.