Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Looking for binoculars....any advice??? >

Looking for binoculars....any advice???

Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Looking for binoculars....any advice???

Old 11-15-2007, 01:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default Looking for binoculars....any advice???

I am going to go elk hunting next year and will need a good setof binos, anyone have a good set-up on power and brand???

I have been watchingfor aBurris Landmark 8x32, should I belooking more alonga 10x set?
Old 11-15-2007, 07:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Looking for binoculars....any advice???

Ive got a Steiner. Clearest Ive looked through. I think its the merlin in 10x42.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

I wish I could say somewhat decisively what to get but I have never elk hunted. I would imagine that a 10x power binocular might come in more handy in that type of situation because you are classing animals more often at longer distances. With that thought in mind the 10x42 configuration seems to be the optimal choice. (I am not fond of the 10x32 configuration as I believe the exit pupil is too small for comfortable eye placement especially for extended viewing not to mention the fact that most 10x32s are fairly light and difficult to hold steady enough for this type of application IMO)

For all of my hunting I prefer 8x40 or 8x30 binoculars as they provide more than adequate magnification and brightness levels. I typically hunt semi-open hardwoods or fairly thick patches of brush so field of view and brightness levels are of the utmost importance in my choices.

I also tend to favor some of the mid priced models ($400-$800) for my hunting though I have used a variety of the $300 roof prism models (Nikon Monarch, Bushnell Legend, Pentax XP, SP, etc..) in the past with very favorable results.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:29 AM
Typical Buck

Need to know the following:

1. How much are you willing to spend?

2. Hunting conditions - open or woods?

3. Will be binos be used for other purposes when you return from this elk hunt?

I like Burris optics, specifically the Fullfield II scope I have on my .270. However, they are giving those Landmark binos away with the purchase of a Fullfield II 4.5X14 scope, so I have my doubts that they are very good (I could be wrong about this). They represent the lowest end of binos that Burris makes.

Before I plopped down the money for my Pentax DCF-SPs I made a pretty thorough evaluation of binoculars. My search led me to several conclusons that I will share with you:

The $350 - 600 price-point is the sweet spot in roof prism binoculars. The group of binos offered in this price range (Nikon Monarch, Pentax DCF WPII and SP, Leupold Katmai and Pennicle, and offerings from Minox, Vortex and others) are markedly superior to the binos below $200.00. These are roof-prism binos with phase coated and fully-multicoated lens elements, BAK-4 prisms, fully waterproof and fogproof, and generally guarenteed for life. These binos are just below the big three (Swaro, Zeiss, and Leica) in optical performance but cost about $1,000.00 less.

My Pentax DCF-SPs are in 8X43 and I love using them. They are really bright and provide a flat field of view focused well out from center. They are built rugged, have a locking dioptor adjustment, water and scratch resistant coating on the outer lenses, magnesium alloy frame, and are amazingly compact for a full size bino. I plan on using them forever. They can be found on the internet for around $450.00.

Another bino I am interested in for my 11 year-old son is the Vortex Diamondback 8X42. This is a $200.00 roof prism bino that I may get him for Christmas. I've read that this is a great value and with the Vortex VIP warrenty I'm confident they will fix anything thatgoes wrong withthem. He is prone to loosing things so am holding my sending to $200.00 or less, but I don't want to buy him junk. No retailer around here carries Vortex so I am going on what I have read on other discussion forums and reviews.

NOTE - If your budget won't allow you to spend at least $350.00 or so I might suggest looking at poro-prism binos. The optical quality of poros is better than roofs at the low end. The trade offis theirtendency to be less weather resistant and bulkier to handle compared to roofsdue to the design.

Good luck.

Mouthcaller
Old 11-20-2007, 11:07 AM

I LOVE my Pentax dcf-sp's. they are only a minor shade below swarovski in optical quality. All my friends who use only Zeiss, Szarovski, and Leica are amazed at how well they perform.I find just as much game as they do with my 12.5X50's when they are useing their10 power brands that cost about a thousand dollars more.The key to it, is if you are going to glass open country is to USE A TRIPOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! even if your binos are not very hign quality you will do much better by mounting them on a tripod.

good luck, let me know what you decide on
Old 11-20-2007, 11:11 AM

Mouthcaller is dead on!!!PENTAX DCF SP'S are awsome.if you don't have much to spend I would recomend the, Leupold wind river mesa's for about 200$ they will compete with those that cost hundreds more.

Once again use a tripod!!!

Have fun...... optics are an amazing way to improve a hunt, especially out here in the west where you can spend all day looking through them.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

If you're hunting more open terrain (over 300 yards), then 8, 8.5 or 10X is more useful in that you can see a little more detail at longer ranges. If you're hunting closer ranges, 7X is very quick to spot game with and you can usually find a little better prices on 7X bino models.

If you're buying binos from a store, try to look through them at dusk at objects outside of the store. Reading product labels inside a store with fluorescent lighting doesn't let you see the true difference between binos in low light situations like dawn and dusk.

Good luck.