Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

which Binoculars

Old 03-22-2004, 06:22 AM

Default which Binoculars

Hello........I was wondering if I could get some recommendations on a decent set of binoculars preferrably under $300. Going to be doing some spot and stalk hunting in open areas of Newfoundland this fall and figured I better upgrade. Where I hunt in Massachusetts it's thick, I'm sure the inexpensive bino's I use hunting here will be out of the question up there. Down here if I can see 100 yards in the woods its a miracle. Up there, the guides are talking spotting miles of country. I appreciate any help. Thanks. John
Old 03-23-2004, 08:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: which Binoculars

For $300 and under I would suggest either the Nikon Monarch ATB's, Bushnell Legends, Wind River Cascades or some of the Cabelas brand models. All are priced at or slightly below $300 for the 10x42 models. The 8x magnification models are usually a few dollars cheaper.

All of the above are roof prism binocs that, I believe, are phase coated to increase light transmission and overall clarity.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:36 PM
AK

Just tonight, I bought a pair of Nikon Monarch ATB 10x42 binocs. ($260 w/ store coupon.) I compared them against comparably priced Baush & Lomb, Bushnell, and Pentax brands. The Monarch's were noticeably more clear than any of the above. In order, I'd rank the Pentax at the bottom, and the two B's on par with each other. The Monarch's were also the smallest and lightest of the bunch.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

I did not mention it in my original post but those are the ones that I ended up with as well...for much the same reasons as what you listed.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:40 AM

Check out the Eagle Optics website.
They have some very high quality binos in your price range.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:59 AM

i also say nikon, bright & clear and not expensive
Old 03-24-2004, 12:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd suggest going to ebay and getting a decent pair of used ones. I bought a pair if $450 Zhumells for $200. They were only used 6 hours by the owner.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Bobco,

You got me on that one. I have never heard of Zhumells. Can you relate more about them?
Old 03-25-2004, 06:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

http://www.zhumell.com/pdf/waterproofPressRelease.pdf

http://www.binoculars.com/detail.asp?PID=25975
Old 03-25-2004, 08:10 AM
Typical Buck

I got the Wind River Cascades at the end of last season. Can't remember the price, but I know they were under 300. Got them for Xmas actually. I like them a lot. I believe they are made by Leupold. I got he 8X42 model because I do very little classing over large fields. I just don't need the 10X magnification. Overall, I really like them. I had a cheap POS pair that THANK the LORD got dropped in a lake. They would fog up everytime I looked through them. I nver had a problem with the wind rivers. Again, I go them at the end of last hunting season. I hunted the very end of December and beginning of January in temp ranging from 2 to 45 degrees. Wonderful midwest weather. Anyway, don't skimp on binos...worth the money.

Good Luck in your decision.

Jay

Quick Reply: which Binoculars

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.