Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

binoculars

Old 08-02-2002, 12:48 PM

Default binoculars

Im just starting to look for a good set for bowhunting. I have no clue what id need or what is out there so any info or what works for you is appreciated....thanks......Mitch
Old 08-02-2002, 02:02 PM

Default RE: binoculars

I just bought a brand new pair of swarovski SLC 10x42 binoculars for $1600 canadain and i have to say im in love with them, if your serious about hunting and you want a crystal clear, high quality pair of binoculars that will last you as long as you hunt look to swarovski, ziess, or lieca.

ScottFisher

e-mail me [email protected]
Old 08-02-2002, 10:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

mitchmedic, it depends on where you hunt. Out west a pair of 10 or 12 power binos would be good. In the east I don't see anything more than 8 power being necessary. More would be a hinderance, IMO. I got a pair of Minnox 8.5x42s. They are a division of Leica. They're extremely bright and clear. Even in the woods I can see just fine early or late in the day, actually better with than without them. On a 3D course I can see all the scoring rings. They're fogproof and waterproof to 15'. They come with a 30 yr warranty. I paid $420.

Phil.
Old 08-03-2002, 06:07 PM
Typical Buck

Swarovski SLC 8X30 - not big enuff to be cumbersome, water proof & rubber coated, etc, etc, etc...AWESOME GLASS!!!
Old 08-04-2002, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mitch,
If you log onto "birdwatchersdigest.com" you'll find about all the useful information you'll need to make an educated decision. About the only thing missing is bias based on limited experience.
As I have found throughout life if youo want good stuff then be prepared to pay for it. The thing about binocular is they are a lifetime investment so keep that in mind. The cost of quality averaged over 20 or 30 years is very minimal.

Old 08-04-2002, 05:37 PM

Sportsmanguide.com has Brunten Binoculars on sale.
8x32 for $69.00. This is good buy, they retail around $229.00
They are nitrogen filled and good quality binos.
Old 08-04-2002, 06:46 PM

I just bought a pair of Pentax binoculars for hunting. They are
10x50. Nice and bright. I would stay in the 8 to 10 power range
for hunting. Dont need any more than that.
Old 08-05-2002, 05:28 PM

Like others have said,Get the best you personaly can afford!Personaly i cant afford anything near a 1000.00 for binocs,however you can get a good pair for way less!Also,keep this in mind when shopping,the larger the objective lens(thats the big end)the brighter the image.
And you want at least a 5mm exit pupile,to find the exit pupile size
divide the objective lens size by the magnification power,10x50=5mm
8x40=5mm,7x35=5mm you get it.the 5mm is a little larger than the pupile of your eye is when it's at it's largest(like in the dark)
So it's getting all the light it can ever take in.I use a pair of 8x40 bushnells cost about 170.00 if it's light enough to see with the naked eye,I can see it fine with these.I hunt the forests and swamps of Florida,and it's pretty dim in there most the time,and the 8x40's work great. Hope this was some help.
Old 08-06-2002, 07:45 AM

The Pentax DCF WP binoculars are better than or equal to anything $500 or less. They currently have a $100 rebate offer. If you check around on the internet you will will them for around $300. The mail in rebate makes the final price around $200. This is a GREAT DEAL! I already own the 8X42 version but considering another pair at this price. Anyone looking for some high quality optics cannot afford to pass this up.
Old 08-06-2002, 02:45 PM

Mitch,
I'd agree on the Swarovski 10X42 SLC- I've been using them for a couple years and they are excellent binoculars, and they come with a lifetime warranty. The best price I found was at Eagle Optics in Wisconsin.

Quick Reply: binoculars

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.