HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Looking for binoculars....any advice???
Old 11-16-2007, 06:15 AM
PABowhntr
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Looking for binoculars....any advice???

I wish I could say somewhat decisively what to get but I have never elk hunted. I would imagine that a 10x power binocular might come in more handy in that type of situation because you are classing animals more often at longer distances. With that thought in mind the 10x42 configuration seems to be the optimal choice. (I am not fond of the 10x32 configuration as I believe the exit pupil is too small for comfortable eye placement especially for extended viewing not to mention the fact that most 10x32s are fairly light and difficult to hold steady enough for this type of application IMO)

For all of my hunting I prefer 8x40 or 8x30 binoculars as they provide more than adequate magnification and brightness levels. I typically hunt semi-open hardwoods or fairly thick patches of brush so field of view and brightness levels are of the utmost importance in my choices.

I also tend to favor some of the mid priced models ($400-$800) for my hunting though I have used a variety of the $300 roof prism models (Nikon Monarch, Bushnell Legend, Pentax XP, SP, etc..) in the past with very favorable results.