Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 G5 optic question >

G5 optic question

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

G5 optic question

Old 07-16-2008, 07:35 PM
Spike

Default G5 optic question

Thinking about getting the new G5 opitic sight with the floating 4th pin. Has anyone heard any positive or negative things about it. A friend of mine says he heard that the floating pin was noisey. Any truth to that

Thank you
Old 07-17-2008, 05:11 AM

Default RE: G5 optic question

I just boughtan Optix ME (last years version of the XR). The floating pin is assembled under tension andmakes no noise.

What I found is the other pins can vibrate if you don't take up the slack in the slide screw after you re-tighten thelock screw.

To adjust a pin,slightly loosenthe lock screw, then adjustthe pin using the slide screw. After adjusting, snug up the lock screw and go back to the slidescrew adding asmall twist. Thistakes up the slack in the adjustment assembly.

Mine is solid, quiet, bright, and a well thought-out piece.Extremely pleased with it...

BTW, I like the 0.019 pins better than 0.029.

Chris
Old 07-17-2008, 05:53 PM
Fork Horn

My experience with the G5 sights is that they are all somewhat noisy. I dont know if its the floating pin particularly, but I had to quiet mine down with some limbsavers. Of all of them I have seen in use, the new XR is the best one.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:07 PM

Having had experience with ME andLE...i can assure you, if the sight is not set up correctly it will be noisy.

I currently am hunting with the LE. The 5 pin sight is absolutely fantastic.

I recommend placing a small lock washer between the head of the bolt that holds the pin in place and the silver washer that comes with the sight. You can find a lock washer this small at your local hardware store. I got mine at Ace Hardware.

Once the lock washer is installed, do exactly what Indiana Chris says.

I can't emphasize this enough, like all equipment, it must be installed properly. And boy oh boy is it a sweet piece of equipment!

Best of luck, PM me if you have any more questions.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

You need to make sure the floating pin is in one of it's locked positions or it can make noise. The sights are only noisy when not set up right.

Definitely .019 pins.

Josh,

You recommend and you bought? I see how it is.

Last year I wrote to G5 about this issue and recommended the addition of the lock washer. I guess the decided to spend $1,000's in research and came up with making the head and nut wider instead of adding the lock washer.

The lockwasher is the best way to ensurethat you will have no issues with the pins either. They cost about $.10.

Here's why the pins make noise:
1. The lockdown screw can not be tightened that tight or it will break off.
2. Because of #1 the adjustment screws can not be tightened enough to keep from moving.
3. Put lock washers under the lockdown screw.
4. Tighten the adjustment screws clockwise and you will no longer have noise issues.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:30 PM

I'll give props where they are due.

Davepjr came up with the idea of the lock washer. His idea has changed the industry. lol

I will say this though, the lock washers over time will need to be "refreshed". I took two pairs of pliers and bent them back into working form this past weekend.

Best of Luck!
Old 07-21-2008, 03:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you didn't crank them down until the hex wrench bent you'd have no problems.

I still find it funny that G5 hasn't done this and wasted all the money on a new screw and nut. Maybe they were afraid I'd come after them for royalties or something for giving them the idea?
Old 07-21-2008, 01:46 PM

It's not my fault that I have super human strength.

Besides, when you told me to snug them up....that's what I did!
Old 07-22-2008, 06:36 PM

Just added my new g5 le o7 model to my bow.NIce tips here.Had some trouble with the pins not lining up running out of adjustment any suggestions?
Old 07-22-2008, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it is a great idea....I bought one. It was broke before I got it out of my basement. It just seams kinda brittle. I bought a Viper....For an additional 10 or so bucks.....way moresite forthe money.

Quick Reply: G5 optic question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.