Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Question for the Pee Experts- >

Question for the Pee Experts-

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question for the Pee Experts-

Old 09-16-2007, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question for the Pee Experts-

Okay, maybe I'm just bored, crazy, or both. I find myself questioning whether I should continue to tote empty gatorade bottles in the woods with me in case I get the urge. Well, it seems that most folks believe just letting it fly from the stand is just fine, deer can't tell the difference between human pee and deer pee. In fact, most say that they can't tell the difference between any kind of animal's pee. I don't know if this is true, but I think I'm going to leave the bottles home next time out.

I do have some questions though... If a deer can't tell the difference between my pee and a deer's pee, and I can even start my own scrape, then why do we bother buying bottled buck urine? Or red fox pee, racoon pee, or any pee for that matter? If I visit a tree should I step in it for cover scent and save a few bucks on that trophy buck lure or cover scent?

Can a buck tell male pee from female pee? Is estrous pee loaded with something more than just any old pee to drive the bucks crazy during the rut (or scare them off pre-rut? Like maybe Doe PMS?). Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this. Serious and non-serious replys are all welcome.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:55 PM

Default RE: Question for the Pee Experts-

from what i understand (and i believe it) is that deer either classify pee as predator or non-predator. this is why fox pee is a good cover scent as they are no threat to deer. what i have found from experience is that peeing in the woods seems to be a bad idea if you drink coffee or eat things that can make your pee smell different or unnatural. I'm not sure I believe that doe in estrous pee smells different.Although it may(i've never smelled regular doe pee) it seems that it very well could be that bucks react differently to the smell of urine during the rut. i dunno.just my thoughts.to sum it up, i don't worry about carrying a bottle, let it fly.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm a pee out of the stand guy. I have been doing this for years and seen deer many times after peeing out of my stand. As far as peeing in scrapes I know there are guys that do this to "freshen" the scrape. I myself do not, because I just like to leave scrapes alone. There are other ingredients in doe in heat scent that attract the bucks. The main ingredient that does thisis vaginal secretions. A study was done about a year ago where they took deer in controlled area where they took doe that were in heat and extracted their urine and vaginal secretions. They then distributed three test scents out. They were the estrous doe urine, the vaginal secretions, and the two mixed. The bucks in the area reacted to the vaginal secrections and the mix and had little reaction to the urine. So, it would seem that the vaginal secretions are the ingredient that attracts the bucks. They probably don't have this isolated in scent because urine is easier to collect and you get a lot more of it for sale.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:00 PM

somebody needs to call mike rowe. that sounds like a dirty job!
Old 09-16-2007, 06:08 PM

Im a let it fly guy too. I have never had a negative reaction from a deer.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:10 PM
OGW

Pee Expert...No
I did do some informal testing a few years ago...after that I was convinced I no longer needed to carry in any bottles to go in!
I urinated in a scrape near one of my treestands going into the set and leaving(and drank alot of coffee too)
The next time there the scrape would be cleaned out completely to the ground...even after the snow had fallen I tried the same thing and the same result happened! Bare to the ground!!!
I was a challenger to the resident buck who regrettfully was nocturnal at that standsite
I believe now that they cant tell if it's human or not...but believe that due to the different hormonesthey can tell the difference between Male and Female.
Yes...I have a half gallon milk jug in the freezer out in the garage with the urine from a couple previously harvested bucks(I tied off the bladders while field dressing then saved and drained them later)....andthe jug hasbeen topped off for free
And it's Deer Farm FloorFecal Matter Free
(ever wonder why the commercial stuff has that brown color)???
Now You Know