Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Question for the experts >

Question for the experts

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Question for the experts

Old 09-08-2004, 04:20 PM

Default Question for the experts

First off, I'm new to the site and I must say that this is a great site. I am sort of in a dilema here. I am currently looking for a new rifle that will allow me to hunt both deer and large game out midwest, ex. elk,moose,etc.. It's been a long time since I have really looked at guns or shopped for one. I have recently looked at a few, like 7mm, 7mm Mag, 300 Win Mag, 300 WSM, and 308. I wanted to get some opinions as to what would be the best caliber for hunting both. I would like something with enough knockdown power from a long distance but at the same time not to dislocate my shoulder either (not much recoil). Also weight would be an issue, I would rather have something lighter than heavy too. I have always had wood stocks but really don't know much about the synthetic stocks either. I am having a difficult time deciding what would be best, especially with all the different manufacturers to choose from and such. Please help out an ol' southern boy here.
If you have any suggestions on scopes as well, please let me know as to what I should look for or what you recommend too.

Again, thank you for your time.
Old 09-08-2004, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question for the experts

What's your budget?
Old 09-08-2004, 04:43 PM
Typical Buck

OK... I have to put my 2 cents in... First off I do not claim to be an expert on ballistics, but I would consider a 30-06. I consider myslef to be a wimp when it comes to recoil, but I can handle it. You can get ammo cheap and easy, and the caliber is available my most gun manufacturers. The other ones you listed should work well.

As for the gun... That is tough, there are so many good options out there. A couple of things...

Synthetic stocks are considered optimal where climate variabilty is a concern... I don't think this is a big concern, especially if you get a decent wood stocked gun that is free-floated or pillar-bedded. Even without that you are really talking about minimal accuracy differences. I personally like wood. Synthetic stocks tend to be lighter and some are furnished with stainless steel barrels which are more rugged than blued. However a lighter gun is going to kick more (simple laws of physics).

If you are trying to be budget conscious, look at Tikka, CZ and Savage, these manufacturers make great guns and by most people are considered the best bang for the buck.

You will here a lot of Remington 700 talk... These are fine guns, I just personally think the new ones need a little tinkering to be worth their weight. You will almost certainly have to adjust your trigger out of the box.

If you are looking at throwing a little more money around look at Kimber and Sako, I definately think you get what you pay for in these guns. Fit, finish, feel, accuracy is worth the grand.

Scopes again come down to budget...

Cheapies but goodies = Simmons Aetec and Bushnell Elite

middle of the road values = Weaver grandslam, Sightron, Burris Fullfield

Top of the line (but not Swavorski) = Leupold VX-III, Nikon Monarch, Zeiss Conquest

Good luck with whatever you choose!
Old 09-08-2004, 04:58 PM

8mm/06 - As far as how much I would like to spend on the rifle, hmmm. hard to say. I would be willing to spend the money if it comes down durability,quality,and not having to do alot of tweaking to it. I would like to have a good quality and reliable rifle for these needs for the long haul.

newguy23 - Thanks for the reply. I forgot about the 30-06, which I have considered. The recoil is not gonna necessarily kill me but it would be nice to have something that wouldn't recoil bad. It's just I don't know enough about the higher calibers b/c I never shot or owned one either. I'll check out the rifle manufacturers you listed too. As for the Rem. 700 models, are there issues with the trigger out of box? If so, what would you recommend for it.

Thanks again!!
Old 09-08-2004, 05:26 PM

i would look into the 280 myself. remington makes the mountain rifle in this caliber. it is a lighter gun and has a wood stock to boot. this is a VERY good gun don't let guys kid you the remington 700's are still fine works of rifle. you just might have to put a trigger on it. such as the timmy trigger. the 280 will kill all the animals you mentioned and then some. the recoil isn't very much "i think it is less then the 06 even" if you handload this round becomes even better! however you can find good factory ammo for it.

for a scope... well it is better to go cheap on the rifle then the scope. you can't shoot tiny groups or kill animals if your scope dosen't hold zero. a leupold scope will last you forever and is very clear. you can spend more and get the zeiss which is slightly better. i think i will be buying a zeiss pretty soon myself.

a remington modle 700 mountain DM in 280 around $500-$600 and leupold 3-9x40 var x2 around $250 would give you a nice rifle that will kill any north american game animal
Old 09-08-2004, 05:37 PM

I have for many years, held a dealer FFL, which enables me to buy rifles, shoot'em, and if I do not like them, move them along. The benefit is that I have been able to own a shoot many models and calibers. I am very pleased with the Winchester Ultimate Shadow in 7mmWSM. The rifle is ligher then many other magnums. The stock has a lot of good features, like gripping surfaces that are little affected by being wet, and the stock is indestructable. The recoil is no heavier then a 30-06, but you can launch a 7mm bullet at a much higher MV, which translates into flatter trajectory. The 7mmWSM will do anything that the longer, belted 7mmRemMag will do, in a lighter, shorter package. This rifle/cartridge combo is capable of taking any game up to and including elk and moose. The long range capability makes it an excellent pronghorn rifle as well. Best cartridge/rifle combo that I have run across in many years.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:12 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: killer243

ithis is a VERY good gun don't let guys kid you the remington 700's are still fine works of rifle. you just might have to put a trigger on it. such as the timmy trigger.
Exactly... I don't want to spend a bunch on a gun and then have to replace the trigger right away. I am lazy... Why not by the Savage with an already great trigger?

Anyway for the scope I would not suggest the VX-II, it doesn't have fully multi-coated lenses, in that price range look at the Sightron or Weaver, Also consider getting the VX-III, Well worth it... It is the scope all others should be compared to and has been for a while.

If I had to pick a gun/Scope Combo for around $750 I would go with...

Savage ($500-$550) with a Weaver Grand Slam 3x10(>$250)

If you want to spend a lot more...

Go with a Kimber 84 Classic ($900) with a Leupold VX-III ($500)

-That would be a rig most of us would envy!
Old 09-08-2004, 07:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

The Winchester Black Shadow is a good buy. I have not looked at the Ultimate Shadow but I am sure its a fine rifle. The Remington is also a fine rifle and one of the easiest to adjust the trigger on if indeed it even needs adjusting. Going along with some of the others here, if it were for me I would pick the 280 Remington or 30-06. Either in a Remington 700 or Savage with accu-trigger. However since its not for me and You might prefer a little more range, I would go with the Super Shadow and would consider no caliber except the 300 WSW. I would top it with a Simmons 2x10 Aetec scope. You would have a tough time beating that combo for anywhere near the money. Another good choice would be the Weatherby Vanguard I think it called. Again good price and good quality. IMO!
Old 09-08-2004, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

If you like the Weathreby Vangaurd, look at Howa. Same gun but since you aren't paying for the Weatherby name usually a little less expensive. I'll cast another vote for .30-06 on the flip side though if I didn't have anything in the rack and starting from scratch I might just give the .300 WSM a look. I doubt it kicks more than an equal .30-06 and it will gain a little fps. I've fired a .300 WM and it was a little more than my "06" and I'm basing my opinion on the fact that the WSM is supposed to kick less.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

If I didnt have a rifle and was gonna buy one for hunting any north american game i would go with a ruger m77 in 300 win mag! Good reliable gun, good reliable caliber.

Quick Reply: Question for the experts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.